Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1973 NOS Black Horn Grills for TTG Light application

1973 NOS Black Horn Grills for TTG Light application

NOS 1973 Only
    Porsche Part #s are shown in photos
    Opened only for photos - In original packaging!
    $300 per pair. PP F&F, Shipping is included in the Cont US. +$50 to ship to Europe

Attachment 561210Attachment 561211Attachment 561212Attachment 561213Attachment 561214

Nice item. Can I ask from what you can see is it true that the part that Porsche provided once the silver TTG version was no longer available were just the normal 73 black grille part with section sawn out? Rather than moulded to create the opening like earlier silver ones?

Don’t take it as criticism of the part which is obviously nos I'm just seeking to learn. Seeking to confirm what I believe was the case — since you have a nos packaged set to hand so can inspect them to see how the apertures were made.

The ones I’ve seen in person were no longer still sealed factory packaging so hard to know their heritage but these all appeared to have simply been cut — hence the question. From photo looks cut suggesting this was done by supplier not a local modification to a regular complete one at time of fitting as some have suggested to me. Never believed that suggestion.

I’ve not checked parts book number so unsure if this parts label pictured has the same part number as the black ones without the ttg cutout.

My model year 73 car had silver TTG otherwise I would buy these from you. Hope the anorak question (bump) helps. Glws

Steve

member #1515
    Wow, you learn something new every day. I could never find a factory pair of those, chrome only.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

David My understanding was even for model 73 after cars went to black the factory continued with chrome for ttg per earlier years. At least that was reportedly so until when the chrome ttg version were all consumed.

I’m assuming being a one year only grille before face lift made them redundant when silver ones had been used up it was a pragmatic decision to cut the new style black ones to make appeture for the ttg. Probaly not that big a volume part by then.

Having said that the bit that was never clear to me (or validated by hands on inspection of nos sealed item ) was whether there was just the complete one issued the technician fitting lamps needed to modify in factory or at dealer. Since this is all packaged up but missing one bar it suggests it was done by the parts supplier, rather than a late local modification at time of fitting lamps. That makes most sense but it would be good to know rather than surmising.

Being a nice nos apparently in sealed packet with old (albeit AG not KG) label this one might reveal the answer to that question if OP can check. Does it have signs of being cut ie sharper edge rough finish ( rather than moulded to have no bar? Looks cut edge from the photos — appears to have signs of slightly ruff square edge (saw marks) rather than a smooth moulded edge of aperture to me. The earlier chrome ones were clearly purpose made for ttg. Shape of aperture on chrome was different as were the finish to edges of open crossbars. Black one is much simpler by comparison.

There were different versions and materials of chrome — one being in this old post by Dirk

https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...left-and-right

Due to material and finish I suppose it was less obtrusive to modify the black self coloured than this in chrome.

“CSI forensics” of that area will be interesting if IMSA68 obliges with his magnifying glass and flashlight

I repeat I’m not knocking it just keen to know what in person examination tells us

Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 10-19-2021 at 07:19 AM.

Interested. PM sent.
    Dave Reu
    Member #3949
    1973 Silver Metallic 911S

Set is sold to Dave!

I have more sets that I purchased in Germany 20 years ago LMK if you need a set

Close ups of the "cuts" attached below (for the early 911 forensics curiosity) shows clearly that these were "cut" from the original Black Plastic Grills. The black TTG grills were NOT smoothed / rounded like on the Chromed TTG grills.
    I believe that this was done by Porsche's supplier then sealed in the packaging.

A check of part #s against the original Parts book shows:
    911.559.431.04 Is described as: Grille Plastic Material Schwarz Left For Cars With Additional Headlamp And Fog Headlamp
    911.559.432.04 Is described as: Grille Plastic Material Black Right For Cars With Additional Headlamp And Fog Headlamp

Close-ups of "cuts" below:

Attachment 561226Attachment 561225
    Last edited by imsa68; 10-19-2021 at 10:58 AM.

Well done on sale.

Thanks for posting the closeups. Shows the cut clearly and as you say likely modified at supplier factory and packaged with different number (taken together rather busts the theory of a local modification that some had suggested) .

Just for reference and completeness I snapped the part numbers in an old paper parts book the illustration plate & page below is edition iii dated 1.73; shows these numbers.

The grills are reference “4”
    60F1015B-0917-4E22-82CD-DDAE1BC87C61.jpg

In this book format: “1” in first column means model 72 and “2” means model year 73. The regular grilles are annotated. No year annotation on the ttg version .

Not aware of hard copy parts book that has later “illustration plates & page” than one I pictured but it doesn’t yet include the version being sold — other pages & plates bound in the same book so page shown didn’t require modification even by 2/74. I expect PET version being electronic shows supercession.

But as mentioned the earlier 73 with ttg typically got the prior chrome even though by then the grilles were black.

Haven’t checked the part numbers on the prior printing of hard copy parts book I’ve got on shelf but expect that 901.559.431.28 and 901.559.432.28 too being the chrome with moulded (not cut black aperture). This tallies with the nos chrome pair in Dirks old post. https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...left-and-right

Maybe the ones on OP suffix .04 with an AG label is the supercession after the 1.74 print date of the parts book? Clearly black one year only version as stated. But the one used later in model year?

Thanks for offer of another pair but my car is model 73 built December the pictures I have from a previous owner show with chrome ttg version as was used for early part. I suppose if I needed a pair it would be like Dirk once offered.
    Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 10-19-2021 at 12:34 PM.

Still have some of these NOS sets available!

These have been discussed many times over the last couple of decades.. A lot of information is a forum search away.

These were always replacements or ended up in the later produced full TTG kits after they stopped producing the metal grills. As has been noted, if a production car had TTG lights from the factory in '73, they were the Chrome grill version we are familiar with, having the full cut out pattern on the vanes.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586