Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1973 NOS Black Horn Grills for TTG Light application

No intent to argue / derail my ad posting however we restored an original 73 911 S Coupe w/ TTG lights on the Kardex and the COA. The car had 32k miles on it when it was parked. This car was featured in the Feb 2018 issue of Excellence
    This car came from Porsche with Black Plastic TTG Grills!

Are there any part suppliers offering repros for sale? I need a pair, but don't care to pay big bucks for NOS.

Einar

Quote Originally Posted by imsa68 View Post
    No intent to argue / derail my ad posting however we restored an original 73 911 S Coupe w/ TTG lights on the Kardex and the COA. The car had 32k miles on it when it was parked. This car was featured in the Feb 2018 issue of Excellence
    This car came from Porsche with Black Plastic TTG Grills!
    Interesting .
    If it has been completely nailed in the many discussions here I must have missed it but has it been established when the black cut ones superseded the chrome ones on factory built cars. My impression (but not confirmed by data I’ve yet seen) is the factory did fit the black cut ones during model 73 — something that seems to be confirmed by one example in IMSA68 most recent comment. Assuming car he worked on had the factory fitted items, was that car a late(ish) 73 example

I have little doubt these cut ones were what was provided later as noted above but be interesting if while on a roll we can approximate to the point when factory started to use them vs the older chrome ( the usual caveats of real world “noise” about why it is hard to pin down notwithstanding). My sense is it was after calendar 72 but were fitted before end of production year 73 by factory. Maybe still more mileage in discussing it to see. Maybe move the comments if spoiling IMSA68 FS thread but likely ongoing discussion give bumps that help;not derailing. Sometimes I’ve learned from questions triggered by seeing items and variouscomments about FS posts.

Steve

The 73 911 S I referenced in my comments above was SN 9113301371
    The Black TTG Horn Grills on this car when I acquired her was taken Out of comission in late 75 due to the Original owner "taking out" the Wood Entrance sign to his apartment complex on New Years eve (12/31/1975). A time capsule car that was not driven again until 2018!

Thanks for that new info. I know 319 RS examples were built in calendar 72 but I don’t follow 73 S model
    I expect the folks here who do follow 73S closely might translate the vin to date of its production — if so one useful datapoint that if other reliable examples if cars with TTG factory option corroborate might help us approximate the date the chrome TTG grille part was superseded by this type of black cut grille for factory fitted options.

Loose parts even those NOS in packaging may not help much with dating a supercession — what we do know however is the part still in OP was packaged during the period that style of parts label (with AG) was being used and being black with that part number was intended for a model year 73 ttg. From the page in parts book printing date being marked iiii 1/73 and still referencing chrome version suggests the existence of the later black cut version wasn’t picked up in that edition iii book refresh / supplementary page. Revision process and printing for those paper factory spare parts books not always correct or accurate but it does give another “loose” indication.

10DB93DD-4E70-496D-9406-55A868812424.jpeg

After all other parts that changed in 73 were picked up in this same parts book issue / update in period.

Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 10-20-2021 at 12:02 PM.

member #1515
    My car is a May 73 production car and came with chrome grills with fogs.
    Of course Porsche is notorious for strange variations.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

We won’t get it exact for reasons as you say but expect there may be some better estimation of the date if folks share what was fitted and production date. At least see if any more examples emerge leaving factory with black rather than black being after.

Registry member# 206 fourteenten's Avatar
    I knew I had a similar set somewhere...

Cees
    Attached Images Attached Images

Still have a few sets available!

Quote Originally Posted by imsa68 View Post
    Still have a few sets available!

I don't suppose you have any standard ones i.e without the TTG Light application. ?