Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will a celette find out if this is ok

Will a celette find out if this is ok

I knew there was some patching up on my '69S because there was some aftermarket undercoat in this area, but wasn't expecting this. When I put my old Sears angle measuring tool across the two rear A arm mounting holes on the left front side, I get about 11 1/2 degrees, and on this patched area, I get almost 15 degrees across the rear holes. On this patched area, the hole that is to the outside of the car seems that it was hammered into the body (see second picture), which added to that 3.5 degree mismatch. Please note that from inside the trunk, there is no visible change from what the factory did except right at the bottom of the triangle, where it is pounded down a bit. Pretty sure that the old mounting holes were cut off and this new piece lap welded over the factory metal.
    Does anyone know what angle these two holes should be relative to level, and will a Celette find out if this piece is in the proper place?
    Found this last pic in my Workshop Manual, and I do see 12 degrees for those holes. Am I interpreting this correctly. The front left is very close to 12 degrees
    Thanks for your help, Bob B

Name:  IMG_1071.jpg
Views: 530
Size:  82.2 KB

Name:  IMG_1074.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  43.1 KB

Name:  IMG_1075.jpg
Views: 520
Size:  93.9 KBName:  IMG_1076.jpg
Views: 508
Size:  63.9 KB
    Last edited by SIMI BOB; 10-20-2021 at 05:36 PM.

You should ask Bill Kelley (techweenie) - located in Chatsworth. He is a master of Celette and anything related to body/metal.
    1957 356A Cab Condor Yellow
    1970 911E Targa “CONDA G”
    1970 911T3.2 “Meatballs”
    1972 911T2.5 “AWBRGN”
    1972 911T Targa Glaserblau
    1976 911S Talbot Yellow

the good news is that the upper gas tank support appears to be original.
    the bad news is that no body man would of done "bird turd" welding like this
    the elevation difference is 18.7mm.
    In the Porsche work shop manual "check inner fender front section 1965-1968"
    From datum zero , the front hole is elevation -100mm the outside hole is higher -96.1, the inside hole is -114.8mm lowest.
    NOTE: They measure DOWN from the datum line.
    for all of the drawings go to Restoration Design then resources then Factory Dimension Diagrams.
    find front inner fender 1965-1968
    It is the same as your1969 car

So is there a consensus here that I should remove this piece, cut the hole to fit the piece and butt weld it back in? That is after i straighten it out to get it down to 12 degrees slant and get the dimension from the forward rack mount to 493.3 MM and 656 MM to the left front mount? I am assuming that this piece is a Porsche replacement part, because this was all done before 1974.
    Any input appreciated. Bill is sending his body guy to my house next week (he just happens to live in Simi Valley) to give me some help.
    Bob B

IMHO I would get it on a bench and have it redone correctly. This way you can also get the rest of the car checked to be sure you in spec. You have it apart so you are a 1/3 of the way there anyway. I know if it was me it would bother me to no end if I left alone.

Scott
    69 911S #1379
    65 356 SC #130757

it is interesting that the area inside the trunk looks so nice. one would think that the repair that was attempted was due to rust?
    the method used, even if but welded in at proper elevations would only be cosmetic.
    the upper piece has to be removed to give access to welding in a few support pieces associated with this piece.
    looks like you have the right eyes coming to look at it,,,

i

Scott,
    There was never any intention to leave it alone, in fact I have already started to grind off some of the easier to access bird crap welds to remove that piece. This is kind of weird, because in earlier posts, I have noted that the LEFT front strut had been replaced with a '71 date code strut.
    The car has to go on to a Celette because of the accident that made me park the car 50 years ago. With a jacked up '56 Chevy to my left, I pulled into a major intersection in the San Fernando Valley when the light turned green for us. The Chevy abruptly stopped and as my nose stuck out, I hit the car of an 80 year old New Yorker in the side who was running the red light. After that the car pulled to the right when driven and there were stress cracks in the paint (three coats) on top of the left fender in front of the driver door. So the car got parked.
    I have been looking for a Celette near me, and have been told that there is one in Fillmore or Santa Paula. I am sure that Bill Kelley's body man will be able to help me there.
    Bob, When I get that piece off I will post pics, and maybe thay will give us more insight as to what caused this piece to be replaced. I am certain it was not replaced because of rust. There is hardly any rust on this car anywhere. Remember, this car was on the road less than 5 years. My intention was to cut off all of the body that is covered by this piece and butt weld this piece back in after it is positioned on the Celette. I am hoping not to have to remove anything in the trunk. If any supports need to be welded in, it will have to be from the bottom side.
    Thanks all for the input! Bob B
    Last edited by SIMI BOB; 10-22-2021 at 10:11 PM.

i hope it works out for you ...
    it realy sounds like it needs to be properly measured for centerline and level
    hopefully the car is not twisted.
    placing it on the celette sounds like a good idea...

for your reference here is how it is supported inside...
    Name:  tank support.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  76.6 KB

here is what it looks like when the operation is closed...Name:  spport2.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  68.6 KB