Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Original muffler (exhaust silencer) material

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    The stainless 2nd wrap is thin and the magnetism comes thru from the inner ferrous muffler.

Aren’t the ones without the stainless wrap also four layers to but just with both layers regular steel?

Not that I’ve ever seen. Regular 2 layer, stainless 4 layer. I’m talking old mufflers, don’t think it applies to new manufactured mufflers.

Quote Originally Posted by gled49 View Post
    The stainless 2nd wrap is thin and the magnetism comes thru from the inner ferrous muffler.
    Since my outer layer has small rust spots (pin holes) I'm still pretty confident it is not stainless.
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by gled49 View Post
    Not that I’ve ever seen. Regular 2 layer, stainless 4 layer. I’m talking old mufflers, don’t think it applies to new manufactured mufflers.
    Interesting. Yes only taking those mufflers known to be circa 72/3 as demonstrated by date stamps as my question was about how it was in that period — and if it changed to stainless outer wrap in that model 73 period.

My 1072 stamped one (pictured on post 1 ) is definitely four wrap and it has stainless outer layer — very evident as grey paint is stripped. I would need to check the 672 in more close detail to count the layers and see the material of the outer layer. It is in storage but I recall it is painted but from what I recall does have some surface rust spots (but no perforations). Pretty sure it is regular steel but can double check more closely.

Other input with examples would helps figure out the answer to my query.
    Last edited by 911MRP; 10-27-2021 at 11:34 AM.

The stainless wrap is probably not a high grade stainless like 304. Engine on left is new Dansk mile steel muffler, the one on the right is an 84 date code Leistritz stainless muffler for long hood application. FWIW
    Attached Images Attached Images   

(as posted in Robert's thread as well: https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...17#post1116117 )

Performing open heart surgery on a Bischoff 3/73:

Name:  Bisschoff 3-73 10 ct.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  56.9 KB

Name:  Bischoff JM Tuning 110122 (5).jpg
Views: 262
Size:  98.7 KB

The outer skin was in pretty good shape, sans one open spot along the top/bottom seam; The inner skin was rotted away on two large areas, left and right:

Name:  Bischoff JM Tuning 110122 (3)ct.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  118.8 KB

This could indeed mean the outer material is different from the inner material (did not perform the magnet test yet).

On top of the inner skin, there are three small pinholes, to balance-out air-pressure difference between inner and outer skin. In between the shells/skins, there is also a "gaze" damping material. Need to investigate what this is and if I can just replace by modern material (if needs be).

Name:  Bischoff JM Tuning 110122 (11).jpg
Views: 290
Size:  97.5 KB

What struck me on the internals, is the pipes are actually flared (coming from pro-audio electro-acoustics this was a nice surprise to see!), improving flow performance. I could see other manufacturers skip this for cost purposes (but tbh haven't seen other muffler internals)

Name:  Bischoff JM Tuning 110122 (6).jpg
Views: 261
Size:  67.6 KB
    Last edited by swisscheese; 01-15-2022 at 02:52 AM.
    911S 1973
    Early 911S Registry #176

Thanks for the information here and on the other post. Interesting that the pipes are not parallel.

My father was into home ( not pro) Hifi all of his life. I kept his papers on his beloved transmission line speakers (he was a fan of work of Radford and Bailey https://www.keith-snook.info/wireles...0Enclosure.pdf).

I still have his 70s Radford speakers and Radford amps from Bristol — original classic audio some of which seem to have become collectible especially the Radford valve amps… bit like classic cars of similar era they may not be the most modern but have a certain quality that ensures.

I remain interested in whether the Bischoff outer exhaust silencer skin is stainless on 373 or regular steel. I expect the former based in my 672 and 1072 examples. Magnet test may not help unless the two layers are apart.

Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 01-15-2022 at 04:33 AM.

thanks. Acoustics background help a lot in understanding mufflers (Helmholtz resonators, organ pipes, quarter-wave pipes, etc.) and how to tune/tweak them (droning inside car). When I'm back at the muffler, I'll do the magnet test on the outer skin and see what happens.
    911S 1973
    Early 911S Registry #176

Leading Automotive engineering companies have a lot of skills and invest in significantly in facilities. When I was a director
    at Lotus Engineering Ltd we had both whole vehicle and engine acoustic chambers at Hethel. Vehicle NVH was a core competence as was powertrain. Also pioneering work in electronic noise cancellation. I believe with EV the management of is an interesting area. Porsche were a direct competitor in offering engineering consulting to OEM clients and has significant facilities for its own car products including a full anechoic chamber for vehicles

Steve