Thread: WTB: 2 Hella TN6 fog/driving light reflectors

Red face WTB: 2 Hella TN6 fog/driving light reflectors

Hi Pelicans,
    I am restoring some Hella TN6 fog/driving lights and am looking for two usable reflectors. I prefer not to have to re-plate them but will consider that option if necessary. Please contact me at this email address: pgeorge911@aol.com. Hope to hear from you. Thanks. Peter

I think you have your message boards reversed.

What is a Hella TN6 ?
    When I googled for it I found pics of a Hella 142.
    I have a NOS 142 and a very good used 142 and a NOS 142 case with glass - would make togehter a nos set with one very good used reflector

Quote Originally Posted by uai View Post
    What is a Hella TN6 ?
    When I googled for it I found pics of a Hella 142.
    I have a NOS 142 and a very good used 142 and a NOS 142 case with glass - would make togehter a nos set with one very good used reflector
    Yes, a 142. Mostly Mercedes I think. The lens on those actually say TN6 on them (explaining his reference).
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Hi,
    The TN6 and 142 appear to be 6 inch Hella fog lights with 5.5 inch diameter reflectors and lenses. I appear to have both kinds that I need reflectors for. Yes, they were used for MB and Porsches. They have a round hole in the center for H3 halogen bulbs. The older ones take incandescent bulbs. These fog or driving lights put out more light than the 5 inch Hella versions and can be identified by the long screw at the bottom of the lens holder. If you have any of these reflectors, I am a buyer. Thanks. Peter

I believe the tungsten version of the 142/TN6 was created for the same reason the 115/TN4 was used on US 911 and 914,, Halogen wasn’t street legal per US DOT.

TN6s or 142s weren’t used on 911s. Don’t think they were spec’d for 356 either. The lenses and trim rings for TN6 and 140/142 are not the same IIRC. The TN6 has a distinctive rounded notch in the lens and ring. The mounting screw passes through the rounded notch on the TN6. The 140/142 ring and lens is more like the 118 only larger of course. No notch in the lens. Screw goes through the front face of the trim ring. Been a while since I played with either version.

You really need TN6?? By the way, they don’t really put out more light,,, A H3 bulb of the particular wattage puts out the same lumens in either the 6” or 5”. It’s the shape of the larger reflector that allows a little more focusing of the light, producing a bit more range on the driving or a bit more fan in the fog. Only way to really throw more light is to get a higher lumen bulb (more wattage) or going to a H1 type of filament orientation.
    Last edited by 70SATMan; 12-23-2022 at 08:47 PM.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

I think 140 haven't got the notch in the glass and 142 have or vice-versa they were OE on BMW