Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: does VDO clock have fast/slow adjuster on back?

does VDO clock have fast/slow adjuster on back?

My clock runs fast ever since I had it rebuilt by Palo Alto Speedo. I should have tested it before I installed it on my 69. Because it's such an effort to install, I never took it back out to have it corrected. No I happen to be restoring the HVAC system, which is out, and the back of the clock is only a wiper motor away. Great time to make adjustments if there is a speed control dial on the back of the clock. Mine is the original tic toc and had it rebuilt as such.

Thank you

Indeed it does. Adjustment screw for faster / slower. Red arrow below:

Name:  IMG_2742.jpeg
Views: 546
Size:  425.0 KB
    - 1969 911T Ossi Blue #3981

Just as the Torch shows above. From my experience, I suggest you run the clock for a long time (e.g. two weeks) outside the car, on your spare battery, between each tweek in adjustment. Very minor seeming fast/slows that show over say, a week, of small adjustments accrete over the longer run and in a month you will again be annoyed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Morris View Post
    Just as the Torch shows above. From my experience, I suggest you run the clock for a long time (e.g. two weeks) outside the car, on your spare battery, between each tweek in adjustment. Very minor seeming fast/slows that show over say, a week, of small adjustments accrete over the longer run and in a month you will again be annoyed.

One way to do this is to remove the knurled back nuts/brackets until you have the adjustment right. I put painters tape around the clock in the photo so I could friction fit the clock, pull it out to adjust it, and then slide back in without the headache of working under the cowl. It stayed in place just fine for a few weeks.

Once you are happy with the adjustment, you can remove the painters tape and secure it from behind properly.

forgive the silly question, but why would a clock even have an adjustment feature such as this? Shouldn't it just "work" and keep good time to begin with?
    Karl: E911SR #792 ; RG #420 ; GS #7

'72T Coupe - Sepia Brown

Great advice. Thank you.

Does anyone know the trick for removing the wiper motor assembly? I have the two nuts removed from the exterior wiper arms, but don't have the clearance to swing the whole unit forward and out. I did it once when I put the clock in, but can't remember how I did it.

Quote Originally Posted by karlusmagnus View Post
    forgive the silly question, but why would a clock even have an adjustment feature such as this? Shouldn't it just "work" and keep good time to begin with?
    It is nothing other than a wind up, old school analog clock. That’s why it doesn’t just “work”. They didn’t start keeping good time until the 73 model year.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Einspritzer View Post
    Great advice. Thank you.

Does anyone know the trick for removing the wiper motor assembly? I have the two nuts removed from the exterior wiper arms, but don't have the clearance to swing the whole unit forward and out. I did it once when I put the clock in, but can't remember how I did it.
    I gathered from other posts that there is an 8mm nut securing the assembly to the bottom edge of the soft cloth material that the assembly hangs from. This seems to be the only other fastening point for the assembly besides the two wiper arms points. With the strap released, the assembly should swing out. Am I on the right track here?

I have never removed the wiper motor to get any of the gauges / clock out from the trunk. Removing the blower assembly usually makes this much easier though.

It can be done without removing the wiper assembly with some patience and a telescoping magnet.

Clear Jim. Thanks for shining the light on the topic for me. Learned something new.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Breazeale View Post
    It is nothing other than a wind up, old school analog clock. That’s why it doesn’t just “work”. They didn’t start keeping good time until the 73 model year.

Jim
    Karl: E911SR #792 ; RG #420 ; GS #7

'72T Coupe - Sepia Brown