Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2.0 to 2.7 work in my 69E???

2.0 to 2.7 work in my 69E???

I have a numbers matching engine in my two year old barn find E. The engine has been completely rebuilt by a shop in the midwest. After 2000 miles it started smoking like a locomotive. Gave up on the incompetence of the first shop. I took it too another shop who said mfi rebuilt so poorly it needed rebuilt properly. I sent it to Gus Pfister in Cali who did a wonderful job on rebuild. The second shop said valves out of adjustment among other things. They fixed all they found. The car drove approximately 700 miles, and is back to smoking again. Although this time not nearly as bad, and, no fuel in the oil like prior to mfi rebuild. I am at the point of realization that I don't have any shops in the midwest capable of fixing this. I am debating finding a nice running 2.4 or 2.7 I assume this will adapt to my 901 tranny?? I hate giving up on the numbers matching engine, but I'm not Jay Leno who can continue to pay midwestern work from home shops, Southern California prices to TRY and fix the smoking problem. Suggestions and advice are more than welcome.

There are plenty of good mechanics in the midwest. Where are you located?

I hear if the car sat for a while(years/decades)...that the Piston rings, take a set, get out of round.
    The cure is to drive the car super hard/ super hot.

To get the rings to pop into their good shape again. And stop smoking.

Sounds like it worth a try.

The other thing I would try is Lucas oil stabilizer.

Current long term ownership: 63 Cab, 71 911, 74 914

Located in Indiana. Car was rebuilt with new pistons, rings, and cylinders. No knocking sounds, just smoking. Don't feel pushing the car to the max is the answer currently.

Have you done a leak down test? That should help narrow down why it’s smoking. Are you over filling the oil, you need to follow the proper procedure when checking oil level. Is it sitting s long time between drives? That could cause oil to overfill the crankcase.
    1969 911S
    1969 Datsun 2000...worth less, but more valuable

Quote Originally Posted by Theunz View Post
    Have you done a leak down test? That should help narrow down why it’s smoking. Are you over filling the oil, you need to follow the proper procedure when checking oil level. Is it sitting s long time between drives? That could cause oil to overfill the crankcase.
    Leakdown is 165-170 psi across cylinders 1,3,4,5,6. Cylinder 2 is at 155 psi.

Car is not sitting long between drives. I did change oil putting in approx. 1 quart too many. After running it for about 5 minutes, to check at warner temps, I immediately removed excess oil. I know now check the oil after a drive with warm engine running.

There are a number of questions I could ask, but as a first step I suggest removing all the spark plugs and inspect the electrodes, see if they are all dry looking, or are they all wet and oily , or are only some oily and the rest dry.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

One time, a 74 911 I was fixing, smoked real bad.
    I kept scratching my head.... And wondering what to do next.
    I heard a sizzling noise after shut off...Then more wondering...

I took a drill and drilled a hole in the low hanging part of the heat exchanger.
    I expected oil to drip out... But out came water... The source of the heavy smoke and the sizzle.

The water came from rain.

Current long term ownership: 63 Cab, 71 911, 74 914

I believe the numbers you posted are compression numbers and seem to be pretty decent. A leak down test will show how much of that compression is escaping before the combustion process. It can identify which cylinder is leaking (they all leak a little) and where it’s going, past the rings, valves, etc. if leak down numbers are good then you can start looking at other possibilities. If it’s bad at start up but then clears up as you drive it could be bad valve seals or guides letting oil seep into a cylinder or cylinders while the car sits. Hopefully someone will refer you to a competent mechanic near you.
    1969 911S
    1969 Datsun 2000...worth less, but more valuable

Chicago area has some excellent mechanics. Perfect Power Midwest Eurosport are two.
    1969 911S Targa
    1970 911S Coupe
    1973 911T w 3.2
    1972 Alfa GTV 2000