Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2.0 to 2.7 work in my 69E???

Thanks for suggestions and comments guys. It smokes at start up, and won't stop. I'm afraid to drive or put any load on it. The car sits inside, no rain/water penetration. I don't smell any gas in the oil. On cold start after running only a minute or so, I removed the oil fill lid, and smoke was coming out at a rate like a large cigar smoking. I've had a few 3.2 911's and never experienced this. Is this normal for this engine, or is this pointing to my problem. Thanks again.

Not normal but hard to diagnose long distance what the issue is. I’m surprised that you’re experiencing these issues post rebuild. Try speaking with Karl at Thoroughbred Motorsports (Corry, PA). 2-3 hours from Indiana

Bob Farmer in Greenfield, IN is a very experienced Porsche engine guy.

https://www.farmersautomotive.com/contactform.php
    Tom Butler
    1973 RSR Clone
    1970 911E
    914-6 GT Clone in Progress

Quote Originally Posted by tom1394racing View Post
    Bob Farmer in Greenfield, IN is a very experienced Porsche engine guy.

https://www.farmersautomotive.com/contactform.php
    NO NO NO NO NO NO NO and NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is where I started!

Make sure your crank case vent hose isn’t restricted. If oil gets in the muffler it will take some time for it to burn off.
    Last edited by 66S; 11-30-2021 at 02:29 AM.

the muffler is an easy one to take off...and see if you can rule that out.
    it would be nice if the problem was so simple as just an oil filled muffler.

but a smoking oil filler neck, would not be a muffler.

my brother had a very heavy smoking 73.
    he found deep oil in his heat exchangers....(those are much harder to remove) but just to say, sometimes oil is not where you expect it.

Current long term ownership: 63 Cab, 71 911, 74 914

Quote Originally Posted by 66S View Post
    Make sure your motor vent hose isn’t restricted. If oil gets in the muffler it will take some time for it to burn off.
    Where is the motor vent located? I can check the muffler, but the smoke was coming out of the oil filler neck. Not pouring out, but it was coming out. Also, I am smoking immediately on start up. If it were oil in the muffler, wouldn't that require some time to heat up before making smoke?

Sounds like blow by. Disconnect the vent hose, goes from front center top of case to oil tank, where it goes into the oil tank and run the motor if there is too much blow by it will come out there. If the vent hose gets kinked the case gets pressurized and oil will push past the rings into the cylinder and out the exhaust. If simple tests don’t determine the problem a leak down test is in order. Check your air filter housing for oil from overfilling the tank, that can create oil smoke. I had a 69E motor that had sat for years resulting in piston rings stuck in their grooves and smoke, I couldn’t get them free by driving and had to take it apart to fix it.

If the engine was initially rebuilt and run in with the MFI running too rich, that could keep the rings from seating.
    Tom Butler
    1973 RSR Clone
    1970 911E
    914-6 GT Clone in Progress

Quote Originally Posted by 66S View Post
    Sounds like blow by. Disconnect the vent hose, goes from front center top of case to oil tank, where it goes into the oil tank and run the motor if there is too much blow by it will come out there. If the vent hose gets kinked the case gets pressurized and oil will push past the rings into the cylinder and out the exhaust. If simple tests don’t determine the problem a leak down test is in order. Check your air filter housing for oil from overfilling the tank, that can create oil smoke. I had a 69E motor that had sat for years resulting in piston rings stuck in their grooves and smoke, I couldn’t get them free by driving and had to take it apart to fix it.
    When you write, "into the oil tank", do you mean the hose that attaches to the filler neck on the side? I'm not sure I'm understanding which hose to check.

Also, there is no oil in the air filter housing or air filter itself.