Thread: . . . My Next Car

. . . My Next Car

What has . . .

. . . seating for two . . .

. . . a 5.7 liter, 32-valve/DOHC V8 w/ >380 hp . . .

. . . selectable AWD . . .

. . . and weighs ~5000 lbs?

Tows, too --- >10k lbs!

We Can Be Heroes

Choices

I don't buy cars very often --- and when I do, I almost always buy 'used'

(I actually did buy a brand new car, a few years back --- a Subaru CrossTrek . . . but that was for Zovig, my So-Much-More-Than-a Girlfriend. She picked it out --- and it's all her car . . . but I've driven it enough to think of it as a loooong test-driver. And both of us love the thing. Enough that I almost got another one)

Anyway, the last car I bought for myself was the one that brought me here --- Ten Fifty-nine . . .
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...Ten-Fifty-nine

. . . but I've been wanting to get Something Else for the last few years . . .

. . . but there's a lotta things for me to think about

First off? --- was space. I only have a two car garage. The Porsche will never-ever park out-side and, despite the stupid miles, I'm not to keen (like --- AT ALL) about parking my Little BMW outside, either . . .
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...=1#post1096276

So, whatever I would get has to be either super-special --- to push the BMW out . . .

. . . or super tough --- tough-enough to spend its life outside

Next up? --- I wanted something I could put stuff in . . . dogs, bikes, furniture, junk for the dump, etc, etc. Zovig's CrossTrek has handled some o' that --- we hauled furniture from Ventura in it . . . but it's kindova drag having to have to ask to borrow her car just so I can get a bunch o' steer manure from Home Depot. She LOVES her Subie --- keeps it nice, too . . . and I'd feel terrible trashing-up the inside of her baby hauling my stuff

'Sides --- her car can't tow . . . psh

I also been wanting something to take off-road. Not talking about rock-crawling or bogging or anything really extreme/stupid . . . just want something that can take running on a rocky dirt road without getting all stuck, bunged-up, or snapping an axle --- something that's genuinely capable . . . like my old Landie . . .
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...l=1#post544615

Last thing? I wanted something that was a decent buy --- maybe not so much in terms of operating costs . . . but that would at least hold its value. And bonus points if it was decent-looking

So you can see where this is going. I've been aching for a 996 GT3 --- actively looking for a 'driver' for the last year . . . but prices have bumped Big-Time over the last few months . . . and I'm not dropping six-figures on something that'll mostly sit in (. . . not-to-mention push my little e30 outta . . .) the garage. 'Sides --- there are TONs of funky roads and trails where I live, that I'd love to explore . . . with something that's built for it, soooo . . .

. . . here's where I ended-up . . .

Last edited by LongRanger; 11-30-2021 at 07:26 AM.

We Can Be Heroes

Anyway . . .

. . . after a not-so-brief search --- found me a little sumpin'-sumpin' . . .

. . . soooo --- flyin' out to Pittsburg, this week . . .

. . . buyin' (K --- maybe-but-still-pretty-sure) something I've only seen in pictures . . .

. . . and expect to be drivin' it back

So --- Road Trip comin' . . .

. . . and the weather looks to be absolute shyte, too

Last edited by LongRanger; 11-28-2021 at 11:54 AM.

We Can Be Heroes

NOT Popular . . .

. . . all the Manufacturers 've pretty-much quit building 'regular' cabs some years ago --- seems everybody wants 'bigger/better' 4-doors, long-beds, etc . . . so 'little' ones like this just aren't around

Add in the bigger motor + 4WD --- and ten-or-so years of duty . . . and the number o' available vehicles shrinks, like --- a LOT

I like Toyotas. I've had a Land Cruiser, a coupla 4Runners, and my Mom's old Corolla, and never had any issues --- with any of 'em. I always appreciated their durability and utility, and they're not all-that expensive to buy + use + insure, either. And? . . .

. . . they're easy to get rid of. Lotsa folks like Toyota's stuff --- especially their trucks . . . so if things don't work out . . .

Anyway, I'd started-out hoping to find a little '89-'94 regular cab 'pick-up' --- but those 've gone ballistic price-wise in the last few years. Used to be able to find something decent for $5-10k. Not any more. There's one I saw + looked-over from BaT, a few months back . . .
    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...4x4-pickup-13/

Decent-enough condition + and reasonable miles, w/5-speed (woo-HOO) --- + right motor, too (Toyota's immortal 22R). But the thing had some 'fit' issues . . . and felt like it had arthritis . . . Seller wouldn't even let em drive it. Whatever. We're still talking MAYBE 20 mpg . . .

. . . and it can't really tow anything heavy

So? . . . I went shopping for something bigger. Found Toyota's Tundra. Not exactly a sales sensation --- not where I'm at, anyway . . . but when I checked-out their crazy 5.7 liter V8 --- seriously, thing belongs in a sports car! . . . and saw a coupla o' little 'regular' cabs . . .

. . . I'm in!

All that's left now? . . . is that First Drive . . .

. . . all 2400-or-so miles . . .

. . . 35 hours . . .

. . . in almost-December . . .

. . . solo

Attached Images Attached Images

We Can Be Heroes

Just Practicing . . .

. . . what I'm preaching . . .

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    . . . something 'fun' to clobber 'round in, useful --- but not too expensive . . . or fragile . . .

Left-Brainers . . .

Full-size Short-bed Regular Cab Pick-ups --- Euros won't get this but, here in North America, these are your basic gym bag-cum-tool box-slash-backpack type vehicle. Thirsty and not-exactly thrifty in-general --- but for most single drivers? . . . just about unbeatable, ultra useable. And also about to go extinct --- seriously . . . most manufacturers only build extra- or crew-cabs, any more. Triple bonus points for 4WD

And --- if you take care of these? . . . preeeetty good chance any of 'em will make you some money when it comes time to sell, IMO.

And just watch what happens with those reg-cab-four-by trucks --- especially the Toyota
    . . .

. . . Boom-shaka-laka-laka

And starting-up another saga . . .

https://www.tundras.com/threads/offi...2#post-2539973

Turns-out, Toyota only made ~6-7k of these Tundra.2s --- w/ V6s + V8s (4.7l + 5.7l) . . . and 2013 is the last year they made any Regular Cab Short Beds. Everything since is 4-door

Add in 4X4 + TRD + attrition = notta lotta

When I went to the local Dealer to pick-up some bits, one of the Sales Guys comes over just to say . . .

. . . THAT's a rare truck

Gets a lotta funny looks from Truck Guys, too

All I know is? . . .

. . . been a LOOOOOOOONG time since I had me a truck . . .

https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...l=1#post544615

Attached Images Attached Images

We Can Be Heroes