Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RIP Sir Frank

As mentioned Frank had a dry sense of humour and he was quick with his quips. I recall one occasion I was hosting a driving event with the team’s two drivers. Something I did annually with whomever was the driver lineup. Multiple different driving activities in rotation for the invited VIP guests. The team’s drivers were expected to be there this particular year was to give our guests fast laps and some doughnuts in M5 provided by then partner BMW — an F1 driver interaction as a highlight among the other race-car, rally-car and off-road activities we’d laid on for the VIP guests to try their hand behind the wheel. Sometimes we held this at Jonathan Palmer’s facility in Bedford or as on this occasion at Silverstone. I was enjoying participating too but had scheduled a work meeting with Frank at Grove later on that afternoon. Naturally I wanted to stay at Silverstone to indulge in the fun. As the time for me to bail out approached Montoya was having a go in the rally activity over in the Silverstone rally school and he was clearly enjoying the challenge of this different discipline on the loose with a school rally instructor. So much so he was it hard to get him to hand over for my turn behind the wheel. When eventually they came in for the swap I was thinking I should pass and get on the road to my appointment but instead I asked how long I should allow to get from the track to Grove as he had done the journey. This was the era before smart phone sat nav app, normally I travelled direct to the Silverstone from my home. Montoya said 40 mins. So I decided to have my go in the rally car rather than leaving before. Turns out I was late getting to the factory and as I arrived Frank was in the corridor as he often was taking some exercise in his wheelchair. I apologised for being late and explained that I’d taken advice on journey time from Juan Pablo. Quick as a a flash he said said “… don’t worry Steve, F1 drivers always think they are quicker than they really are”. With that and a trademark wide smile / wink we went to his office and got down to business.

It was lovely to see Sir Lewis take Sir Frank on similar road car lap of track recently on a TV feature. Quite a few FiA F1 world championships between to two occupants that day and nice to see them sneak in a cheeky second lap rather like me not wanting to leave the fun when I probably should’ve https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rT5S8sV9ppY

Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 12-01-2021 at 02:03 AM. Reason: Add link

Steve - Thanks for finding that Video. tremendous and touching.
    1968 911L Coupe - Golden Green
    1971 911S Coupe - Gemini Blue
    1973 911S Targa - Signal Yellow
    1974 914 2.3 - Sunflower Yellow

Nice to see several of the Williams heritage historic cars doing display laps at this weekend’s race. https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.a...r/6846577/amp/

The reverse of our Williams’ business cards had a silhouette to commemorate the nine FWxx chassis that had won the FiA F1 World Championship titles (not the seven drivers championships).

I found a few in the bottom of my desk drawer — not the full set:

F70A81F1-A2E2-4CDE-B747-2836E8E17C01.jpg

Frank along with Patrick founded and grew one of the most successful motor racing teams of all time fostering many talented people who had success there (and sometimes fame later elsewhere) such as Ross Brawn Williams employee #11 who went on to a constructors’ championship with a team in his own name and many others whilst with several other teams, other alumni include multiple constructors’ winners Adrian Newey and Toto Woolf who started his career in F1 as a director with Williams GPE before successfully taking the helm at Mercedes racing. Frank launched Williams Grand Prix Engineering Ltd in very modest circumstances and with Patrick overcome many challenges along the way — I doubt we shall see the likes of that privateer team again.

Williams remains one of the most successful Formula One teams of all time and a hotbed for F1 top talent.

The list (in the link below) will be updated soon maybe even following the F1 race results later today but neither of this year’s leading F1 team protagonists will surpass Williams’ second spot in the all time formula one constructors’ championship winner’s list in this season.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.a...6/5367606/amp/

RIP Frank.

Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 12-05-2021 at 01:07 AM.