Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 72 RS Prototype Hot Rod Build!

looks like itÂ’s gonna be a cool project. canÂ’t wait to see the progress, Scott!
    Member #3857
    '70 911 2.7

Pretty cool, Scott. I knew Pete had sold the car, but didn't know you bought it. A hot rod patterned on that '72 prototype will be awfully cool.
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

Suspension details:

Elephant sport rubber bushings for A-arms, camber plates, spring plates and trailing arms.
    18mm front sway bar kit. 18mm rear sway bar.
    Aluminum 74-77 trailing arms.
    20mm hollow front torsion bars and 26mm rear.
    Rebuilt steering rack with Turbo tie rods and Elephant drop link tie rod ends.
    Bilstein front struts with 16mm raised spindles. HD inserts.
    HD rear shocks.
    Elephant adjustable spring plates.
    65mm front and rear titanium wheel studs and titanium lugs.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    72S, 72T now ST

Yeah Arne, I really wasn't planning on buying it but when it showed zero signs of rust I had to. Even after taking it apart it's dry as a bone. It lived it's life in the perfect climate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arne View Post
    Pretty cool, Scott. I knew Pete had sold the car, but didn't know you bought it. A hot rod patterned on that '72 prototype will be awfully cool.
    Last edited by Longballa; 03-11-2023 at 03:14 PM.
    72S, 72T now ST

I usually change the tinted windows when I build a hot rod to clear but the glass on this car is so nice that I'm going to keep the green tint as I think it will look good with the Signal Green color. Stoddard sells the rear windscreen with the green tint and no defrost so I'm going to do that. I'm even probably going to keep the glove box door in it as well. Crazy right? Haha
    72S, 72T now ST

sweet build, and clever to go with the '72 prototype. Looking forward to reading about this one.

Are you going to go full-out and replicate whatever chassis "enhancements" the prototype had? Did it have reinforced aluminum trailing arms?

Also, are you going to do just the RS arches, or the full lightweight panel? I ask because eventually I need to dump my SC flares for RS flares...
    MBR #3926
    '71 911 T Targa "Rick White"
    '71 911 E "Karen"
    '70 S/T
    '16 CD
    '10 E61 "Vomit Comet"

Quote Originally Posted by RickWhite View Post
    sweet build, and clever to go with the '72 prototype. Looking forward to reading about this one.

Are you going to go full-out and replicate whatever chassis "enhancements" the prototype had? Did it have reinforced aluminum trailing arms?

Also, are you going to do just the RS arches, or the full lightweight panel? I ask because eventually I need to dump my SC flares for RS flares...
    The exterior of the car will look like the RS prototype but I'm making changes to the interior and some other stuff. It's a hot rod so I can have some fun! I'm not using the factory sport seats I'm going with RS seats and going with lightweight door panels like I usually do. I'm not going to leave the trunk black I will go body color in the trunk. No, I don't believe the RS prototype had aluminum arms but that's a no brainer for me. I'm just doing RS arches as there's no way I'm removing factory perfect rear quarters. Plus, the RS quarters you buy from Porsche are just too damn expensive. But, even if someone gave me a pair for free I still wouldn't cut off the ones on the car. I will do the RSR welded in front strut mounts and run the strut bar but that's all as far as reinforcements.
    72S, 72T now ST

When I had the engine out the first time I cleaned up the engine bay and repainted it and added a new engine sound pad bought from Alex on this site. I restored the flapper boxes as well and replaced the rubber seal in the engine bay.
    72S, 72T now ST

New P7's mounted on the restored 7 & 8 15's. Looking forward to trying out these P7's. 205 front 225 rear. Tony has started on the seats so pics coming when I get them.
    72S, 72T now ST

Love those tires Scott....had them on my 73 with the wide wheels.
    Did you get those from Lucas Classic Tires?
    -Doug
    2022 Carrera 4S Oslo Blue
    1977 Martini Edition 924
    1989 Lancia Delta Integrale 16V