Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Factory installation of LWB rear license plate bracket

I am mounting a new rear plate bracket on my 72T and am trying to find the right bracket hardware. The rear panel is off the car for new paint at the moment. My plate was previously mounted directly to the panel with 2 sheet metal screws and some rubber buffers (no bracket!).

Anybody know where I can source the hardware (nuts, bolts, washers, lock washers)? Thanks in advance.

Belmetric is your friend...or you can stop by and shop for free from my nut/bolt/washer draws. I also have the mentioned/suggested RIVNUTS if you want to go that option

I used the RIVNUTS. Love them!

John
    1959 356 Coupe, 1600 Super, sold
    1960 356 Roaster, race car, SCCA, sold
    1960 356 Roadster, show car, sold.
    1962 356 Cab, show car, sold.
    1965 911 #301111, Red Book Vol 1 "Cover Car," owned 54 years.
    1967 911 #307347, bare-bones, some road wear, a little surface rust, and a few dents..., owned 14 years.
    1970 914/6GT, (Sold - ran the last three Rennsports)owned 30 years.

Photography Site: JohnStraubImageWorks.com

Registry #983
    R Gruppe #741

Thanks for the responses and kind offers.

Here is Belmetric's suggestion:
    BR6X10YLW or BR6X12YLW
    NR6YLW
    WF6YLW
    WL6YLW

Can anyone provide a measurement to tell me what length of M6 bolt is not too short, not too long, but just right?

Allowing for the thickness of the license plate bracket and the panel itself, even 12mm is going to be too short (I just assembled a 6X12 bolt with a lock washer and nut and that leaves just 5mm of additional threads for the bracket and panel). 20mm would be too long...I'd suggest 6X15..

That sounds right, and by now I've come around to RivNuts!

Here's a glimpse of the progress on the rear license panel. I bought this car in Novato, CA in 1998. The paint was already flaked away on the right side of the rear panel, maybe from exhaust heat. I've left it that way all these years. But this winter the bumpers and lower panels are getting refreshed. The rear plate had been attached (likely by original dealer) directly to the panel with sheet metal screws. We closed up the jagged holes, and the rest of the panel was good to go. Now in primer, awaiting final paint matching, we needed to sort out a license plate bracket. Decided to keep it simple with a bracket and positioning recommended by many here.

A small detail, perhaps, but satisfying to get this sorted. After layout and marking hole locations, we blocked up the panel carefully from behind with wood, created a starter dimple with an automatic center punch, cut a 2mm pilot hole, then a fresh 6mm bit for final size, deburred and lightly chamfered edges on both sides, and a light touch of primer applied with a round toothpick. Back to the painter next week for finish.

A word of thanks everyone who participated in this process. Special thanks to mac73s for lending his talents and hands-on support to this project.

Name:  IMG_5471.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  133.9 KB

Name:  imagejpeg_0.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  66.5 KB

Name:  IMG_6042.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  27.8 KB

Name:  IMG_6045.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  84.3 KB

My rear panel is now tangerine again, and the bracket is mounted. Next question - what is the best hardware to mount the plate to the bracket? Clearance is tight, but I spaced the bracket away from the rear panel with some rubber washers. I see some people using a fender screw speed nut, and others using plastic or steel hex nuts.

Name:  IMG_3689.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  97.9 KB

For my cars I've always made backing plates from aluminum sheet. It serves to straighten the somewhat flimsy metal used for the NY tags and adds a decorative touch to the installation.
    Attached Images Attached Images