Thread: Changing to Vent Windows?

Changing to Vent Windows?

I have a 69T Coupe that will be seeing some very hot temperatures. I would like to change to early 911 frames with the front window vent. I've been told this is possible. My main question is whether I will also need new door glass or whether my windows will carry over to an early frame. Lastly does anyone have any contre arguments to this plan? Any annoying issues with Vent windows I don't know about? Thanks!

Window glass fits. See if you can find '68 frames they are aluminum. Also if the "68 frame is not so nice you can modify your "69 frame and use it with the unique alu vent pieces.

fwiw, I am doing this for my RS build using the '68 frames. They are drop-in replacements. Try to match the glass in the quarter with the rest of your car (tinted vs non-tinted), which will save money...and buy nice frames. I had mine re-chromed and they look amazing, but dear lord is that expensive. I almost don't want to track the car with the new frames in it.
    MBR #3926
    '71 911 T Targa "Rick White"
    '71 911 E "Karen"
    '70 S/T
    '16 CD
    '10 E61 "Vomit Comet"

They will create a lot more wind noise. That's the only complaint I've heard.
    72S, 72T now ST

Thanks for the responses. I'm not worried about a bit more noise but I love the idea of a nice draft making its way through the car with both front and rear vent windows popped. I'll keep my eyed peeled for a set of 68 frames!

I mean more noise when they are closed not open. Wanted to clarify that.
    72S, 72T now ST

A part isn't purchased until paid.

The 9 Store LLC.

Someone told me years ago (a long long time ago) that the reason for the solid window was to keep people from being able to hit the vent window and break the latch, then pull up the button to open the door! Makes sense to me. Someone did that to my '66 Beetle a very long time ago. There was an aftermarket part that made it impossible to do that. Basically a stainless piece that slid onto the back edge of the vent window (maybe 6" long), and when you closed the vent, there was a hinged piece that slid back and went into the main window channel, and when you rolled up the window, it captured that piece against the vertical post. A very good investment back when the VW was the most stolen car in the US. Unfortunately there was no way of keeping people from unscrewing two screws and stealing both of your pristine headlight buckets while you were seeing a movie in Hollywood late one night. Interesting driving home with no headlights.
    Bob B
    Last edited by SIMI BOB; 12-03-2021 at 06:13 PM.