Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Correct '67/'68 Latch Panel Decals & Placement

Correct '67/'68 Latch Panel Decals & Placement

Making progress on finishing '68 #0001, so I am seeking the wisdom of the scholars. I've consulted the Johnson book, and the Early S website's Tech section.

So, I am asking the scholars to direct me to a definitive resource that shows details of each decal on the rear latch panel, as well as proper placement of the decals.

I'll continue to seek resource material, but this is my main source.

Thank you, in advance.

Seriously? No help?!

If I have the correct decals, I was hoping to get the decals applied this weekend.

Mike,

Left to right,
    - tire pressure cold
    - tire pressure normal
    - latch
    - engine oil level
    - valve clearance
    - firing order

718RSK, thank you!!!

if you are located near indiana, i'll buy you a 12-year old scotch. if not, i'll owe you one.

seriously, thanks very much.

I always love it when this happens...

Retrieved the much appreciated information from 718RSK, then retrieved the decal package I bought...

The oil level, valve clearance, and firing order stickers are all there, as outlined.

But my tire pressure decal says "tire pressure normal (cold)" and gives front and back pressures, rather than being separate.

And I have another decal in the package that says "Alternator and regulator must be from the same manufacturer.".

Anyone who can un-confuse me is welcomed here.

To follow up, I genuinely appreciate the incredible intellectual capital that resides in this forum. I've gotten additional information from Richy (THANK YOU, man), as well as others acknowledged to be scholars, and it is really helpful. THANK YOU to all ... the research continues.

In addition, I happened to recall that '68 SWT # 0003 had sold on BaT, so I dug into the photos for that car, given that the chassis #s are so close. I think we are beginning to come close to a consensus on this detail, but we aren't there, yet.

I appreciate all of the help. Please continue to share anything you might believe to be helpful.

Mike, small correction to my earlier post. The first tire pressure is for the tire pressures for a heavy car "for high load" and the second sticker for "normal"

Not sure where you got your red border decals but all then ones currently on the market are not exact. Manuel is working on these and knowing him the ones he will produce will be spot on.

I dug out the photo record from Bring a Trailer for the sale of 11880003, as follows:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...indow-targa-2/

In that listing, photos # 147, 148, 149, and 150 showed much the same decals as you suggest, except there was only one tire pressure decal. The borders on those decals were black, and the car seems pretty original (sold for $165k).

Richard Humphrey also sent me some '67 photos showing decals with red borders, and Stoddard seems to sell similar red-border ones as correct for SWB. I only have one tire pressure decal in my set.

I'm starting to get comfortable.

Let me know who "Manuel" is so that I can look for his new decal product, please.

Up to about 69 I believe the alternators were always Bosch so no decal required. Once Marchal became another brand used the need for the "same manufacturer" became necessary.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Ed,

Thank you for that clarification! That's very helpful, and at the same time, it illustrates how difficult it is to get the details "right." (and may suggest that there was inconsistency in many cases.)

a photo from #0003 that just sold on BaT shows the alternator sticker in the 2nd slot on the left of the latch.

so, right now, i only have one tire inflation decal (rather than 2). (i don't have a "high load" tire pressure decal.) but the ones to the right of the latch appear to match what is being suggested.

i guess that is progress.

further information on decals left of the latch would be nice, but thanks to everyone who has offered assistance.