Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: My smoking 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cabell View Post
    15 quarts sounds like way to much for start up. When fully hot I like it between min and max. As far as the centerline leak, if your case was not surface ground and align bored back to standard that’s the result.
    Rick: Yeah, it was way too much. After all these years, I'd never really noticed the FINE casual print about warming the engine before taking a measurement. I guess, since it was so casually stated, that I took it to simply mean that if the engine (oil) wasn't warmed up before the measurement, that the reading you got would only be slightly off... Nowhere in any of my manuals do I ever recall it being pointed out that the oil thermostat is going to block the oil flow until the oil gets up to temp! And hence, the REMOTE oil tank where the dipstick is, will not likely be holding a true approximation of the amount of oil in the system!
    And hence, my having a new rebuilt engine, which I did not want to croak again for lack of oil, I proceeded to check the oil level after just running it the first couple of times for just a few minutes, and not seeing any reading on the dipstick, proceeded to keep adding more oil... I forget who mentioned the significance of the oil thermostat, but I surely thank him for the hint... So now I know. I wonder how many others have been ignorant of this little tid-bit...
    However, I'm happy to report, that all seems to be well now, very little if any smoke, and the 10qts that I last put in seems to be holding just above the Max mark, warmed up, idling.
    And, yesterday, I backed it out of the garage - for the 1st time in 38 years - and ran it up and down the block a couple of times! YAHOOOO! I'm so happy.
    Thanks everyone,
    cheers,
    jt
    jt69
    '69 911E

Registry member# 206 fourteenten's Avatar
    38 years, wow that is a long standing project. Great you got it going again. We want pictures!

Cees