Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My smoking 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by 2.5MFI View Post
    Sounds more like an Oil problem, not a Fuel rich problem.
    What could the oil problem be? I removed the air filter and housing last night. It' definitely clean. What does the fuel line running from top of fuel filter mount to air box do? When I disconnected that hose, some gas came out of it. When I follow the line inside the airbox, it appears the line is crimped off on the end. What is the purpose of the line? Also, on the bottom of the air filter housing a flexible hose attaches and disappears through the tin in the direction of the back seat, what does this line do? Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by porschedude911 View Post
    What could the oil problem be? I removed the air filter and housing last night. It' definitely clean. What does the fuel line running from top of fuel filter mount to air box do? When I disconnected that hose, some gas came out of it. When I follow the line inside the airbox, it appears the line is crimped off on the end. What is the purpose of the line? Also, on the bottom of the air filter housing a flexible hose attaches and disappears through the tin in the direction of the back seat, what does this line do? Thanks!!

Fuel line from solenoid on top of fuel filter assembly is for the cold start spray bar apparatus that should be apparent on the back of your air box. If you are saying the line is tied directly to your spray bar on the housing without a solenoid in between you are getting raw fuel into the intake from above. How about a pic?

The other line is overboard vent of oil and engine vapor condensation and can leave an oily residue on front right of engine tin.

Post pics of smoke and pics of all these bits to help with troubleshooting by internet
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

First, oil level is checked using the dipstick, not the air filter housing. The engine must be running, 180 oil temp, and on level ground. That is the only way to know the oil level or whether it is too high. As 'beh 911' said that hose from the fuel filter to the air cleaner is the fuel spray enrichment for cold start. When you push your 'button' you are injecting fuel directly into the intake stacks. It is crimped at the end to close the end of the pipe. You didn't say if the engine had EVER run correctly since the rebuild, or if it did for awhile what if anything had been done before this problem started. Secondly your symptom of applying full throttle but engine doesn't pick up speed may be as simple as a linkage rod coming off one set of throttle bodies. Suggest you have someone press throttle while you look at throttle bodies to ensure all are operating.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Thanks for responses guys. Here are some pic’s and hopefully a video. Yes, the car ran about 1000 miles since rebuild. When car is cold and on level ground the dipstick just has a dot of oil on it. I’m afraid to allow to run to temp with all the smoke
    Attached Images Attached Images     

If there is oil on the dipstick when it is cold there is too much oil in the tank and engine .

One question that I have is how was the engine initially broken in on start up and how was it broken in during that first 1000 miles?

Thanks, Rick

Quote Originally Posted by stephers View Post
    One question that I have is how was the engine initially broken in on start up and how was it broken in during that first 1000 miles?

Thanks, Rick
    I drove very easy first 1000 miles, also, tonight I drained some oil as I found out two minutes into a Cold start I was reading half way up the dipstick. Still smoking, should I take it down the road tomorrow and see if I burn off excess potentially in the engine? I drained app 2.5 quarts. I did change the oil after rebuild, at 1000 mile mark. I put in app 8-9 quarts at oil change, including filter.

If you drained both tank and engine and new filter then 8-9 qts will be about right. I'm of the belief that an 'easy' break in doesn't seat the rings. I use alternating full throttle bursts, then coast down. In fact I think the best break in is an auto cross.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

8-9 quarts sounds about right, if all was drained properly both at the tank and the sump. But to me, all this sounds like too much oil, and oil-fouled plugs.

Edit - I got interrupted in my reply, Ed beat me to it.
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    In fact I think the best break in is an auto cross.
    I love that comment Ed.

Break in Bad
    Mark