Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My smoking 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Arne View Post
    8-9 quarts sounds about right, if all was drained properly both at the tank and the sump. But to me, all this sounds like too much oil, and oil-fouled plugs.

Edit - I got interrupted in my reply, Ed beat me to it.
    Since I removed some oil last night, should I drive it up to temp killing all mosquitos around me with my smoke? Or, do I need to replace plugs first?

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    In fact I think the best break in is an auto cross.
    So True. Break in runs of alternating throttle & coasting down work very well.
    Mark Jung
    MFI Werks
    Early 911S Registry #972
    Carrera T w/LWB, MT, RWS, PCCB
    72 T 66 x 100 MFI Twin Plug Coupe
    R Gruppe #686

Here is a pic of number 4 plug. Definitely has oil on it. If I did overfill should I drive some to try and burn off the plugs, or, should I put all new plugs in first?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Short drive driven easy to get oil up to moderate temp so you verify oil level on dipstick. Once you've verified oil level then drive harder to see if oil in exhaust will burn out. If , as you say engine will gain RPM with open throttle you'll need to solve that first. I don't think the spark plugs are holding you back at this point.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    Like I said in the beginning, get the car running properly, if you can’t do that, pay someone. Ive seen under driven car develop problems like this. The car might need to be driven hard for an hour or more to burn off oil and restore performance. If something is really wrong, at least the carbon has blown off the valves and a diagnosis is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by gled49 View Post
    Like I said in the beginning, get the car running properly, if you canÂ’t do that, pay someone. Ive seen under driven car develop problems like this. The car might need to be driven hard for an hour or more to burn off oil and restore performance. If something is really wrong, at least the carbon has blown off the valves and a diagnosis is possible.
    Thanks for everyone's help. Believe me, I'm not trying to pinch pennies here. The shop I was referred to for this problem is two months out. But here's an update. Started the car after draining more oil on level ground. Let it idle approximately 5 minutes. Oil was just touching the dipstick so I drove some. The oil was now at a good level. I continued driving and the smoke really started to go away, especially under hard throttle. I drove spirited for about 20 minutes. Still smoking some but only 5% of what it had been. The oiled up plugs are still in the car, which I will change tomorrow. Now here's my questions.

1. Barely to not smoking at all, I took a hard and sharp turn, smoke really rolled out. Is that oil sloshing in mufflers, or heat exchangers?
    2. When I pulled up on the heat lever, I felt like James Bond. It made an instant smoke screen that went away a minute or so after shutting it off. Should I drive with the heater on for a while, or wait for smoking to stop?
    3. When checking the oil level again after this drive, my cap and oil fill tunnel had a white foam/cream in it, see picture.
    4 I left the hose off that goes from side of oil fill tube to back of air filter. It still has a fine amount of smoke coming through the hose. Is this normal? Will it go away after more driving and plugs.

Sorry for being so long winded with questions. But thanks again for all your input. I feel like it's getting there.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

The white foamy cream stuff is usually caused by moisture (H2O) in the oil. Usually seen on radiator cooled cars when a head gasket is compromised.
    Mark

One more quick note. Just came in from a half hour of serious driving. Car is still smoking, more so when lifting off the throttle then when foot is all the way in it. When I left my house again, with a still hot engine, I had about half an inch of oil showing on stick, when I returned from spirited drive there was none showing. Am I perhaps still burning oil due to fouled plugs. I thought all the smoke I was seeing slowly going away was from my inside my exhaust, now I wonder if it's that, along with the engine burning oil.

Hey dude911,
    If you're still around, did you ever resolve this smoke issue? I just finished a rebuild on my '69 911E, and am also getting a lot of smoke. Have only run it in the garage (doors open) for a few times, 5-15 minutes each. Put in 15 qts after the first cpl of runs, and carefully measured all that came back out (drip pans, tank, sump) and only got 12.5 qts back. Was varying the throttle the first cpl of runs, and after refilled with 10 qts (after replacing valve cover gaskets with new ones with silicon bead & new turbo covers on lower VCs - only a small centerline drip now), got it up to temp and ck'd oil at idle. Now showing 'Max', so wondering if put in too much oil. Hope to get it down off the jacks today, and go kill mosquitos in the neighborhood (and see if anyone calls the cops on me...). Any further info would be greatly appreciated.
    cheers,
    jt
    jt69
    '69 911E

15 quarts sounds like way to much for start up. When fully hot I like it between min and max. As far as the centerline leak, if your case was not surface ground and align bored back to standard that’s the result.