Thread: payment & delivery question

payment & delivery question

dear all,

i do have a question concerning payment and delivery.
    as we all do sell sth from time to time this sure might be answered by you.

I did sell an item and suggested paypal as usual as payment method.
    This was declined and wire transfer should be used instead.

I do not have any problems with this, so I handed over the account infos.
    between the US and EU the swift payment method is the common way to go.
    I did this in the last 30years quite often and as far as my accountant informed me, there are three ways to pay the fees, which do occur from the bank institute:
    OUR - sender pays cost: As the remitter, I assume all costs of the transfer.
    BEN - benificiary pays costs: Here the recipient has to bear the costs of the international transfer.
    SHARE - shared costs: With this variant, the remitter and the recipient share the costs

Well, if nothing is agreed on, the total payment sum should arrive at the sellers account.

As you can assume, the sum was short 40usd, and I friendly asked for the rest to be payed.
    In the next answer the buyer showed the docs from the buyers bank, showing „fees: 0,00usd“, which makes it very clear for me, that the buyer did not pay the wire transfer fees! and all was on my side!
    this was also told me by my bank account manager: I paid for the swift wire transfer.

hence the minus 40usd ….

the buyer now tells me he has a special account, he never pays any fees, he has large turnovers and my bank would keep the fees….the fault is not on his site… which obviously is not correct…

Any opinions on this, am I wrong, is my info wrong? swift?
    any recommendations?

br
    haul
    59 750 pre unit triton
    63 650 gray silver bikinitub triumph thunderbird
    70 650 astralred silver triumph bonneville
    65 912 slate gray "erwin"
    73 914 ravennagreen "ferdl"
    erwin_loves_polo

In the states, the custom would be for the buyer and seller to pay their own fees on sending/receiving unless agreed differently prior to the payment. After all, the buyer sending payment has no way of knowing if the seller's bank is going to charge the seller a fee (some do, some don't, some vary by account type) and it would be unreasonable for a buyer to assume an unknown and unlimited liability based on the seller's bank account choice.

I had a look at the generell wire transfer fee regulations… in this case
    chase bank - see attached
    they do charge per single transaction from the outgoing amount 40usd
    is this correct?
    the fee of 40usd will not appear on the buyer/sender list, but will be taken from the seller/receiver?

br
    haul
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    59 750 pre unit triton
    63 650 gray silver bikinitub triumph thunderbird
    70 650 astralred silver triumph bonneville
    65 912 slate gray "erwin"
    73 914 ravennagreen "ferdl"
    erwin_loves_polo

Quote Originally Posted by haul View Post
    I had a look at the generell wire transfer fee regulations… in this case
    chase bank - see attached
    they do charge per single transaction from the outgoing amount 40usd
    is this correct?
    the fee of 40usd will not appear on the buyer/sender list, but will be taken from the seller/receiver?

br
    haul
    It would be deducted from the sender's account in addition to the wire amount. Any deductions you're seeing from the wired amount is on your end. I'm a Chase client and send wires every week.

I agree, your bank probably nicked you in addition to the wire fee paid by the sender. Normally the wire fee is paid separately from the amount wired and not deducted. The only way you would get less is if the remitter had the cost of the wire deducted from the amount he sent you.