Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pet Peeve - Improper use of Euro front signal lenses

Pet Peeve - Improper use of Euro front signal lenses

Am I the only person that this bothers? I see it on all manner of expensive restored cars. People put the amber/clear euro lenses on US front turn signal housings. Looks silly, and seems like a big lack of attention to detail to me.

The whole idea of the bi-color lenses is so that the parking light (side light) is separated from the turn signal light. Parking light (in most of the world) is white (the clear section), and the signal light (again, in most places) is amber.

To do this the rest of the world got a different light housing with a divider that separates the two lighting functions, each section with its own single-filament bulb. The US housings don't have the divider, and have one dual-filament bulb to do both parking and turn signal functions.

It's easy to see when these euro lenses have been improperly used - since there is no divider, the clear section shows an amber reflection from the inside when the lights are off. And both the parking lights and the signals light the entire lamp (both sections) together.

Please people, if you want to use the euro-lenses, either modify or replace the light housings to match. Or just stick with the all-amber US lenses.

Wrong:

Name:  Screen Shot 2021-12-07 at 7.43.38 PM.jpg
Views: 949
Size:  84.5 KB

Correct:

Last edited by Arne; 01-08-2022 at 11:28 AM.
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

You kids get off my lawn!

At my age....things like this just don't tend to bother me anymore.
    Whatever floats your boat.
    -Doug
    2022 Carrera 4S Oslo Blue
    1977 Martini Edition 924
    1989 Lancia Delta Integrale 16V

Sounds like a product to make Arne. A simple glue in divider. Maybe Audette could make it? John?
    72S, 72T now ST

This 'floats my boat'. Life's too short.

Name:  20211124_190234.jpg
Views: 888
Size:  138.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Longballa View Post
    Sounds like a product to make Arne. A simple glue in divider. Maybe Audette could make it? John?
    If it doesn't bother anyone but me, there's not enough market. But for me, it would bug me to have euro-look lenses without the proper euro-function.

Oh well, I'll keep it to myself from now on.
    - Arne

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by Arne View Post
    If it doesn't bother anyone but me, there's not enough market. But for me, it would bug me to have euro-look lenses without the proper euro-function.

I had never noticed it but I learned something and share your point.

Thanks

Richard
    searching for engine (case) 903742

Quote Originally Posted by Arne View Post

Don't feel too bad, Arne. I have my own peeves with even less significant details. You should hear the sound I make when I see an incorrect, grey adhesive rear view mirror pad.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveFromNY View Post
    Don't feel too bad, Arne. I have my own peeves with even less significant details. You should hear the sound I make when I see an incorrect, grey adhesive rear view mirror pad.
    Heh, heh. Why do you think I got some of the dark adhesive pads from you last year?
    - Arne

Cool down.

"Divider"-- City light bulb holder can been purchased here: https://sportwagen-eckert.com/produc...rsche-911.html

BTW the inner ROW reflector, which is not transparent, should be also replace in a US turn signal housing