Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pet Peeve - Improper use of Euro front signal lenses

….. And let’s not start on those unfortunate sugar scoops (however “USA original”)
    Last edited by pgxif; 12-09-2021 at 03:57 AM.
    Paul

1969 ex-South African RHD Tangerine 911T . 1970 ex-Southern Californian LHD Conda 911T 1955 Series 1 86" Land Rover (original Australian CKD … very slowly re-building) 1987 W124 230e
    (long term paid up member)

While I don’t have the Euro lens’s, I do have the incorrect mirror tape. Doesn’t seem to effect the exhilaration I feel every time I drive my car. Perhaps I have a old Porsche for the wrong reason?
    1969 911S
    1969 Datsun 2000...worth less, but more valuable

...and don't get me started on horn grilles installed without seals!

;-)
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

Quote Originally Posted by dirk07 View Post
    "Divider"-- City light bulb holder can been purchased here: https://sportwagen-eckert.com/produc...rsche-911.html
    Amazing.

So, how do you install it? The original Bosch special rivets cannot be replicated...

Anyway, if I was a resident in USA, I'd use USA-spec turn signals and lenses. There's nothing wrong with them. Red looks cool. In fact, USA lenses are better quality because they are through dyed, whereas Euro lenses are only surface dyed, so can fade quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by blue72s View Post
    Amazing.

So, how do you install it? The original Bosch special rivets cannot be replicated...

Anyway, if I was a resident in USA, I'd use USA-spec turn signals and lenses. There's nothing wrong with them. Red looks cool. In fact, USA lenses are better quality because they are through dyed, whereas Euro lenses are only surface dyed, so can fade quickly.
    The dividers are not riveted. The housings have two 'tits' molded in the rear wall. They are then swaged to hold the divider in place. Once done on a euro housing, replacing a divider means figuring out how to attach by a different means (drilling and rivet maybe or epoxy).

The US housings have those tits in the mold. Adding the divider is easy peezy.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Quote Originally Posted by dirk07 View Post
    Cool down.

"Divider"-- City light bulb holder can been purchased here: https://sportwagen-eckert.com/produc...rsche-911.html

BTW the inner ROW reflector, which is not transparent, should be also replace in a US turn signal housing
    Can't tell if that includes the rubber seal where the reflector contacts the lens or if that's just for the galvanized reflector?
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Oh, man. So I guess I'm really in the doghouse for putting Cibie headlights on my USA '69T? But to do that, I had to remove the original sugar-scoops. What will Saint Peter say when I get to the Pearly Gates? I'm so confused!

Name:  Cibies cropped.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  87.2 KB
    Rich Spritz

1959 BMC Huffaker Mk1 Formula Junior racecar
    1967 Porsche 911 racecar
    1969 Porsche 911T
    1970 Winkelmann WDF2 Formula Ford racecar
    1973 Merlyn Mk24 Formula Ford racecar
    2007 Porsche 997C4 cab (totaled by an idiot running a stop sign)
    2014 Porsche 991 TurboS cab
    2019 Cayman GTS (wife's)

Everyone's entitled to a pet peeve or two. Personally, after so many years, I'm quite comfortable with the sugar scoops.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I like this pet peeve thread...as someone just about to embark on a rebuild of a 69S from ground up - on a freshly painted perfect shell, this thread has the possibility to improve the standard of build given the expertise out there...

I prefer to see the ungainly original sugar scoops than an incorrect H4 the one with extra small light that has no place on a 72 and 73 model year 911 - not a peeve it just jars because they’re simply not correct on that period. It only becomes a “peeve” when I see these later incorrect H4 mis-sold for the pre impact bumper cars by people who should know better.