Thread: Arm rest bulge above door opener

Arm rest bulge above door opener

Trying to fix the gap above the opening lever. Took out the lever assembly, then clamped down on the bulge progressively over several days, then tightened a little over center. Re-assembled and was fine, but several days later the bulge is back. Have not tried heat as uncertain if some permanent damage could occur. Thinking of clamping again, then getting some good black adhesive, hoping the glue will stop the bulge from coming back. Any advice?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

You need to use heat, since that is what caused the original bulge.
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White
    2012 991 Platinum Silver ( Gone)
    1971 911T Targa Bahia Red (Gone to France)
    1995 911 Carrera Polar Silver (Gone)

No Affiliation with City of Chicago!

Hair dryer?

Name:  240C7684-9349-4429-B639-86E0B9AB166C.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  62.4 KB
    Name:  6E8C1A41-7AAF-4055-BCD4-CFC0FE1C709D.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  99.7 KB

Tried heat with a hair dryer and same thing. Held for awhile then back the bulge came.
    My solution was to make a sheet metal frame, the glue the top of this frame to the bottom of the foam bulge. It has been about 6 months and so far so good.

Details of the frame
    1. Two layers of .018” galvanized steel sheet. Thicker material may not work as room is limited.
    2. Form the outer sheet(see the photo) to fit behind the door opener and about 3/8” short on the top and bottom so the steel is not visible when the door opener is bolted in.
    3. Form the inner sheet the same, then glue (with a thin layer of glue)the two sheets together. I used Loctite 3L Construction adhesive as this has always worked well for me. Paint the inside of the sheet metal black, but not the top or bottom as you need sanded, clean metal for glue adhesion.
    4 After drying, bend the top ledge down, and dry fit the sheet metal and door opener in the armrest. You want a tight fit of the sheet metal to the door opener. Make sure you cannot see the metal after everything fits.
    5. From the backside of the armrest, mark the three locations for the mounting bolts. Then drill the holes. As you an see from the photo, I did not make my sheet metal long enough, so there is a notch not a hole at one place,but it still worked. Test the fit again with the bolts.
    6. Put a thin layer of adhesive on the underside of the foam bulge and a thin layer on just the top of the sheet metal. I put some painters tape over edge of the armrest and door opener to make cleanup easier if some glue escaped. No need to glue the bottom or back of the sheet metal. Spring the top of the sheet metal down as you push the sheet metal into the opening, align the holes, insert the door opener.
    7. Bolt,clamp and let dry a couple of days

Hope this works for others!
    Steve

My solution was somewhat easier than Steve's. https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...=1#post1122098

Ravi
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

Ravi, your solution was easier, I just wanted to be able to easily replace the door opener if it broke sometime in the future.
    Steve