Thread: WTB: Aifab Gemini Calibration Wheels

WTB: Aifab Gemini Calibration Wheels

Hi I am looking for these Aifab Gemini Calibration Wheels
    106 +1
    Let me know what you have
    Last edited by uai; 12-17-2021 at 10:51 AM.

Hi Uli

I have three complete Aifab Gemini units in storage but no separate wheels. Not as well known as Halda. Also have a magazine review comparing the Aifab Gemini to a Halda somewhere — seem to recall it was the rally instrument used by the alpine team who won world rally championship in 73.

There are Aifab wheels on eBay I’ll send you live link on SMS

Look at this on eBay
    Aifab Calibration Gears, cogs, wheels (not Halda)

Seasons greetings & Enjoy the event

Steve

Hi Steve, I think it's Clive from autochron you're referring to. I've bought all wheels he could provide that fit my range of rear axle and wheels.
    So I filled up the rest needed urgently with the ones available at belmog- they said some are the last ones they have on stock - so try to get yours for the application you're looking for while they're available.
    I have now all for 3.64 and 4.1 rear axles with different tires, but right after ordering the stuff I got a 3.9 Rear axle so I need some more wheels.

Cheers and happy Holidays too
    Uli

Yes it is Autochron in the U.K.searched here and found this

https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...ing-equipment)

I’m not surprised with your knowledge and eclectic interests is into using Aifab kit What car are you fitting it to?

I like Aifab equipment had it a long time but don’t need three Gemini units so I’ll probably sell some of them — they’re a neat unit. Historic event eligible a more affordable mechanical period alternative to better known Halda twin / trip master. Unit case is neat shape front not too dissimilar to a car radio shape/ proportions plus the brand have a heritage of being used in the Alpine winning team cars around early 70s. Surprising we don't hear more of them in classic car world but seems default is the well known Halda … rather like default Blaupunkt (often Frankfurt) when other interesting brands of radio are available I’ll see if I can find /photograph for you on my bookshelf the 1973 magazine comparison of Aifab vs Halda — probably in the wonderful “triple C” C&CC British magazine of my youth as sounds just their sort of niche equipment review topic.

Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 12-17-2021 at 01:52 AM.

It was the inimitable “triple C in 1973. Who else would write about such things in that quirky 70s style. I have read the authoritative Autosport, Motor Sport and Motoring News for many many years but C&CC was always enjoyable to me as a youngster with its less dry approach and quirky sometimes slightly irreverent articles:

43EDE2B3-8EFD-4DEC-ADEF-5A40E795CFF0.jpg
    0B92A492-F18F-4969-82DA-ABCA9307B4D9.jpg
    89611E67-7A1E-453D-BBFC-5AEE84CB3BA6.jpg

Not the most in depth review

Bit more expensive these days — Halda cog wheels cost about the same today as tripmaster in 73.

Gemini reference:
    B0B83F6D-6E4A-4DE6-A266-10F7BE7D145B.jpg

Everyone who remembers the simple pleasures to dismantle and fiddle with little mechanical things when young needs this kind of neat kit to play around with its cogs and counters … even if they don’t do rallies

Triple C magazine did various similar guides on motorsport kit — I remember one about Nomex suits of same era that moderators probably wouldn’t permit me to post here

Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 12-17-2021 at 09:06 AM.

Thanks Steve for posting that
    Quote Originally Posted by 911MRP View Post
    It was the inimitable “triple C in 1973. Who else would write about such things in that quirky 70s style. I have read the authoritative Autosport, Motor Sport and Motoring News for many many years but C&CC was always enjoyable to me as a youngster with its less dry approach and quirky sometimes slightly irreverent articles
    I haven't really "read" most of the magazines covering classic cars in the past years. Mostly just flipping through - and if I start reading i often end up finding mistakes.
    But there is one (unfortunately german) Magazine that brings back joy because it's written so entertaining. https://www.walter-magazin.de
    It's also available on readly - which I use a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by 911MRP View Post
    Triple C magazine did various similar guides on motorsport kit — I remember one about Nomex suits of same era that moderators probably wouldn’t permit me to post here
    I can imagine that the zippers were probably malfunctioning that day

75p for a gearwheel - nowadays between 7GBP and 36€ each..
    But 8c alfas were also just 15000 GPB back then