Thread: Who makes the best wood wheel reproduction for a 1967?

Who makes the best wood wheel reproduction for a 1967?

I see several out there. Which one do you think is the highest quality? What diameter is correct and should I consider a different diameter?
    Thanks,
    Alan B

You should contact Bruce Crawford at Hardwood Classics in Los Osos. He could show you many different options most of which would be much better than any reproduction you could buy.

Are you thinking buying an original and having it refinished? If so, Bruce is the best, but I think the total price would be more than I'd like to spend.

I would want a 400mm wheel. Sierra Madre has one for $575, Stoddard's is mahogany and $900. Classico also has several options. If your budget could stand it I would get one from Bruce. It would be a much nicer wheel and would be worth a lot more if you ever decided to sell it. Bruce usually has cores and would put something together for you. It would be more, but not that much more than Stoddard. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan B View Post
    I see several out there. Which one do you think is the highest quality? What diameter is correct and should I consider a different diameter?
    Thanks,
    Alan B
    420mm is the original/ standard.

If you want to use a 400 or 380 mm as a core, you would have to replace the ring since on a plastic or leather wheel it’s tubular and a wood wheel is it flat so pieces of wood can be built up.

I would either get a nice original and use as is or a core and have it redone or restored by Bruce

Richard
    searching for engine (case) 903742

for me the wheel is the part I do touch most of my car.
    I quasi lay hands on my car via my wheel…
    its a sensual thing..

Why should I want to have a copy, or repro in my hands if I can decide for different.
    For some parts ok, but the wheel…
    To drive the real thing? or the copy or for another car…
    and why to spend money for that?

just my 2cts

bruce does a perfect job…
    59 750 pre unit triton
    63 650 gray silver bikinitub triumph thunderbird
    70 650 astralred silver triumph bonneville
    65 912 slate gray "erwin"
    73 914 ravennagreen "ferdl"
    erwin_loves_polo

I have an original 420mm steel/woodie with puck in my 66 912,and it`s in excellent original condition with great patina.....$2K mailed USA......I`m replacing it with 68 dated 420mm Nardi
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by acoupe; 12-24-2021 at 06:11 PM.