Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: 2.7 with stock leistritz vs Dansk sport

Quote Originally Posted by chiroracer View Post
    Great to hear, I will probably get the dansk and do the grinder dance.
    Thanks!
    When I ground out the standard muffler Dansk for a 2.4S motor the grinding worked out well for performance match.
    This week I ran a 2.7 rs spec motor with a Dansk sport with large tip but the grinding alone did not equal what an original muffler would produce. The Dansk produced 219hp and just didn’t sound right but the original Leistritz pulled a Hugh 237hp.
    I ended up opening up the brand new Dansk and addressed the internal flow issues . She now gives a much more aggressive bark and the power equaled that of the original.

It cost me 3 hours of lost shop time and in all honesty the new classic then makes a lot more sense financially.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Robert D. Groß

Can you show the internal work and process for the Dansk….
    I have new one and interested to accomplish same work ..
    Thanks for efforts
    73.5 Snrf T
    71 Snrf T
    70S targa
    76 914 2.0
    82 Targa,
    85 Alfa GTV6
    60 Lancia Appia Zagato GTE
    Searching for transmission 7115322 (911/01)

member #1515
    18hp from a muffler mod is quite an achievement.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Quote Originally Posted by 71gold View Post
    Can you show the internal work and process for the Dansk….
    I have new one and interested to accomplish same work ..
    Thanks for efforts
    I didn’t photograph the internal work so I drew up a simple sketch .
    The Dansk sport is no different from the standard Dansk internally. Only the tip is bigger upon exit .
    The Dansk has two internal walls marked A and B in my sketch. They have only two 1.25” holes for exhausts too pass through. I opened those up to a Kidney shape . The gasses then need to travel too the first exit pipe. It’s longer than an original bischoff or Leistritz by about 12”. Cut it short and then slit the ends and peel the metal open to shape a velocity stack. The gases then flow to the end chamber for a 180 turn. Slit the final exit pipe to form another velocity stack. Then weld the muffler back together . You can see in my photo the three sections I opened up to access.

The differences of this 2.7L engine over standard are 1mm bigger intake valves. This was needed to restore bad valve work, geometry and restore cfm. Another shop basically ruined the flow of these heads with their valve work. The heads now flow 135cfm over a standard S/RS 126cfm @10”.
    The other mod is a 1mm bigger buttterfly and it has magnesium stacks I’ve opened to 39-46mm.
    The owner want too run a twin plug setup for the cool factor but it adds zero extra power to the 8.5/1 motor.
    Power went from 219 to 238 after the muffler mod. It needed approx 10extra clicks enrichment on the mfi main rack .
    Regards.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Really makes you wonder about all the people who just buy the regular Dansk for $620 because it is the cheapest and unknowingly neuter their cars. The Porsche Classic one is almost exactly double the price, but I got a bit of a deal on mine as it had some warehouse "scuffing" as you can see. Nothing some paint won't fix some day. But it says Porsche and Germany on it and for my restoration, that's what I wanted.

Ravi
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

I just got the Classic. Same stamps on it that Ravi's has. The inside of the pipe is completely clear. All welds are on the outside of the pipe, and the inside is just a groove. Nothing like the Dansk here to grind away. The pipe halves are stamped with a lip going out, to keep the welding outside.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Jay Laifman; 03-25-2022 at 03:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Laifman View Post
    I just got the Classic. Same stamps on it that Ravi's has. The inside of the pipe is completely clear. All welds are on the outside of the pipe, and the inside is just a groove. Nothing like the Dansk here to grind away. The pipe halves are stamped with a lip going out, to keep the welding outside.
    The Dansk made muffler has the long exit pipe sitting right in front of the two inlets. The originals did not. Grinding the excess internal flange on the Dansk lessens the restriction.

Porsche knows what it is doing. Too bad they charge so much for that knowledge. Dansk could have easily made the same muffler. It would be cheaper for them to do it right, since there would be less material.

Oh well. I was willing to pay the Porsche "tax".

Ravi
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

I had the Dansk and Classic mufflers side by side and it's definitely not only the length of the internal pipe. If you knock on them the Classic muffler sounds much more damped and less tinny.
    1970 2.2S Elfenbeinweiss
    1972 2.4T Targa Aubergine (MFI) [For sale]
    2002 996 TT Midnight Blue
    Member #3833

I had a Dansk 2-in 1-out on my car before switching to a factory Leistritz and the difference in sound is enormous. Dansk sound is loud, raspy, cheap. Leistritz sound is deeper, mellow, loud at higher RPM's but doesn't get obnoxious. Once you hear the difference between the two you can never un-hear it.