Thread: 1972 targa.. long road ahead

1972 targa.. long road ahead

Hi guys! This will be my first post here (I think) after seemingly joined in 2011! I own a restoration shop hidden in middle Tennessee and for the past few years I’ve been honing my craft on vintage sports cars and the occasional fj-40. Recently I got a customer in with a 72 targa that other than the oil door looks nothing like a 72 laughably. Everything but the doors and targa roof has been changed to a later model.

The plan is to take it back to original spec (including the engine which was also changed to a 3.0. And get rid of what we won’t need. I’ll be looking for advice on finding parts and panels, as well as what I’ve got currently (I’m not a Porsche expert in the least).

I’ll try to get my post count up quickly so I can throw in some photos before we start the build process!

(And for any curious my shop is called Alchemy-pfm, you can find me on Instagram.

Welcome 6er....
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Welcome, you’ll find this place very helpful in your endeavors. Post pics when you hit the ‘magic’ number!
    Reg#2218

Welcome, sounds interesting, will tune in. I have a 71 Targa and may not be far from middle TN depending on definition, it is a big state!
    Best Regards

Thanks for the welcome guys! And Jerry, we’re just south of nashville so, almost the literal middle haha.

I’m tearing into the car today to see if there’s any more rust than we already know about so I’ll have a good amount of pictures. The first question I have is about the rear flares. It’s had a wider pair welded on in the past and of course the owner wants to go back to stock. I’m having trouble finding just the flare panel for the 72 model year (instead of the entire quarter), any suggestions on parts suppliers?

Well, I suppose we can disregard that last question! After stripping the paint from the doors and rear quarters, which was not unexpected, I unearthed some… questionable work.
    The drivers quarter isn’t too bad overall however the area around the taillight looks more like a flattened duck bill than a Porsche tail. The passengers quarter (with the oil door) is the masterpiece. So far (havnt dig into the rockers) it’s made up of a combination of six pieces all brazed together using brass filler rod. Some of the work is quite impressive but its beauty was covered with 1/2” of filler in most spots. Oh, I can’t wait to show you guys photos!

Welcome to the registry, sir. I have a 1973 targa that is almost stock. I do have SC flares on the back, and a 964 deck lid, but otherwise as made in 1973. As for the rear standard wheel openings, I am not sure how to obtain short of complete rear quarter panels, which are available from the usual sources. Dansk, Restoration-Design, others. EBS in Nevada may have take off used metal available, I think they bought a lot of Partshaven inventory when it closed, but not too sure about sheet metal.
    Anyway, welcome aboard and keep posting so we may see what you have there. Sounds kinda scary…
    Bill Conway, Early S Registry member #254
    1970 S, 2.2L Silvermetallic Coupe
    1973 T, 3.2L Black Carrera Targa
    1969 T, 2.4L Silvermetallic Targa

Welcome aboard, can’t wait to see the pics. If you need to get rid of that pesky 3.0 engine in favor of a 2.4 unit, let me know!
    1969 911 E #824

I call my 67 - Frankenstein - after pulling off the previously “repaired” quarters. I purchased new Porsche replacements from DelawarePorscheparts.com
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    A part isn't purchased until paid.

The 9 Store LLC.