Thread: Clock modification

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Clock modification

As we know, the early clocks are removed by opening the hard to reach fasteners at the rear. Does anyone know if these clocks can be modified to slide out from the front? Like on the later model 911s?

Can the bezel be changed out to one that fits snug enough to secure the clock?

Better access to remove the clock will make it easier to repair and maintain. Today I need to remove the HVAC box to reach the read of the guage.

Thank you!

FWIW I tried the later gauge rubber gasket to see if it would hold the gauge. It did not work -- I think it was too loose if I recall correctly.

For the clock you can wrap blue painters tape or electrical tape around the base just behind the bezel and that works quite well. You will need to get the number of wraps correct via trial and error. It's invisible from the front.

I used it as a temporary fix so I could adjust the clock more easily, since the adjustment screw is on the back.

Name:  IMG_2742.jpeg
Views: 298
Size:  403.7 KB
    - 1969 911T Ossi Blue #3981

Blue tape, of course! Thanks what I'll do.

Do you have any advice on how often the clock should be looked over to check the gears, etc.? I sent mine down to palo also speedo about 12 years ago for a once over. Didn't upgrade to quartz but left it as is.

Thank you!

I was able to remove the dash speaker on this 912 and gain access to the clock thumb screws. Didn’t have to pull the HVAC system out. It will be more touch than sight but also allows you to see orientation of gauge when installing.

project completed today. the drivers side knurled nut was on so tight. wrapped it with tape and only reattached one side which I can access through the speaker hole. Got the HVAC system back in nice and tight. Also repainted my wiper arms with Wurth black satin. Thank you!