Thread: 1970 Italian GP

1970 Italian GP — red soft window Targa?

A rather sad feel with so many deaths around that time and of course at the practice — under circumstances rather a hollow victory for the Scuderia.

Appears to be fleeting glimpse what might be a red targa in the paddock shoehorned amongst the Team Lotus and Matra transporters ?
    Name:  30375F4F-6A9D-4708-9DD1-6E4D0EE3D99D.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  43.7 KB
    Name:  0FEC20AD-A236-49EB-8047-5D4385D3B0FB.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  57.3 KB

Maybe someone with better video control than my phone or faster fingers can pause it to better make out the registration plate? Unlike the car with an “A” sticker I can’t see a country identification sticker on rear of the Porsche that might’ve been expected if it was visiting from another country, so possibly it is Italian?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KOqJOkYv_7o

Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 01-11-2022 at 05:51 AM.

I don’t mind where thread sits on the forum but part of the motivation for post is about identifying the Porsche in the event’s paddock — will it get overlooked now it’s here ?

It appears to be a soft window is it not?

Rick

That’s what I thought from those fleeting glimpses. Frankly not my area of 911 interest/ knowledge but some folks here seem know a fair bit about the targa variants — posted for their reference. Even though F1 paddock access wasn’t as tightly controlled back in those days as it is now the position parked so close to those leading team transporters suggest someone of influence left it parked there. Thought that maybe of interest of someone who has a soft window targa in red that might’ve been hanging around at that Italian race. Some might watch the racing despite the somber circumstances of a tough year and that race.

Steve

swt,
    with what it seems to be an italian numberplate,
    VE would-be "Venezia", Venice
    but also can be british...

as it is side to side with the Lotus Team, hmmm
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    59 750 pre unit triton
    63 650 gray silver bikinitub triumph thunderbird
    70 650 astralred silver triumph bonneville
    65 912 slate gray "erwin"
    73 914 ravennagreen "ferdl"
    erwin_loves_polo

Maybe related to the tobacco co sponsor with that years’ sponsor colour scheme as doubt Lotus would encourage 911 as they had road car business — coincidentally I have been invited to visit classic team Lotus when passing because I know the owner through previous work and from living near years ago but he joked not to pull up in a 911

Also it is blocking the Matra truck suggesting parked there with their knowledge as doubt a team would want transporter rear door hemmed in by unknown on busy race weekend.

Name:  B9BB13BA-8D40-427F-990A-172F06396360.jpeg
Views: 170
Size:  68.7 KB

Can’t imagine this in my era of F1 paddock (once things under Bernie Max influence )
    the transporters were lined up inch perfect in straight line
    Name:  2976421C-6F31-42B7-988C-36AD6ADABBCF.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  136.0 KB. Even same expected for the unhitched tractor-units parked outside the micro managed paddock.

British cars would tend to have wide short rectangle number plate . Not a hard rule but that shape far more typical for British registered car than the almost square seen here. Square plate on U.K. often when car imported has had that previously. AFN British imported cars would have the short wide black background white or silver letters.

If someone is interested they can figure out how to get the focus better than my quick screen grab on an iPhone during YouTube replay.
    Last edited by 911MRP; 01-11-2022 at 08:13 AM. Reason: Add modern photo

I'm very sure, it is an Italian licence plate VE from "Venezia", Venice, Italy.
    Claudius