Thread: 7x15" tire options

7x15" tire options

Can remove. Got what I needed.
    Last edited by acolle; 12-29-2021 at 02:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by acolle View Post
    Can remove. Got what I needed.
    What did you get?

I felt limited by the 7x15 tire options, outside the P6000. So I think I am shifting to a 7x16 to open up better options. I had hope someone would swoop in and save me from going to the 16 as the 7x15 was an original option for the 73.

912->911 conversion
    Quote Originally Posted by acolle View Post
    I felt limited by the 7x15 tire options, outside the P6000. So I think I am shifting to a 7x16 to open up better options. I had hope someone would swoop in and save me from going to the 16 as the 7x15 was an original option for the 73.
    I have 7x15 Fuchs on my car, and I think I will bump up to 7x16 just for tire availability as well. So curious to hear what you finally end up with.
    Keith Adams
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Early 911S Registry #906 | PCA member IG: @912R
    1969 Blutorange 912R - 912 to 911 conversion
    1969 Mercedes 280 SE (W111) Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by lkadams View Post
    I have 7x15 Fuchs on my car, and I think I will bump up to 7x16 just for tire availability as well. So curious to hear what you finally end up with.
    We already have the Continental Extreme Contacts on the current 7x16. Love them. Second set of wheels will likely run the Michelin PS4 for additional seasonal coverage. There is also the Hankook Rs4 if you are looking for a "race" tire that is street legal... But that seems far beyond anything this car would need.

I have 7r x 15 wheels on all four corners of my 71 911 with factory flairs. I have Toyo RA1s all the way around. These do perform acceptably in rain.

Plan to run original American Racing Torq Thrusts (7x15) wheels with Dunlop Direzza 205/55R tires on a LWB with no fender or qtr. panel modifications.

Best,
    Ravi
    ------------------------------------------------
    1971 911T/2.45 engine spec Coupe / Gold Metallic on Black
    1995 911 C2 / Guards Red on Cashmere Beige (Sold)

As mentioned elsewhere, have 195/65 P6000s on 7x15 all around. Don't find their profile or tread pattern as objectionable as some. Fine in the rain, not so fine at temperatures below 50F/10C. Formerly had Bridgestone RE960AS in the same size, now NLA. Not particularly happy that we seem to be being forced into only CN36 and CR6ZZ as performance options for narrow bodies in 60/65/70 series.
    (a) 1970 911T Sportomatic coupe
    (b) 2016 E350 4MATIC wagon; parts hauler for (a)
    ESR #1474

I have the RA1s on 7j and 8j x15s for the coupe, and apart from not resembling period correct, they are awesome high performance tires. Fine in rain. Heck, to our November DE, I drove them in freezing temps (admittedly out of a 50+ degree garage). I didn't notice a thing, though that might have been because I spent the drive trying to scrap ice off the front of my windshield so I could see. Turns out heat exchangers do serve a purpose. I run the sprint classics on my 6r/7r for the targa, and they are fine for the road, but the sidewall lets you down if you are driving extremely aggressively. They were a huge upgrade from the Michelins that were on my comfort wheels, though I'm sure a large part of that was going to the wider wheel. I will be getting CN36s as soon as possible or maybe the CR6ZZ...

All down to personal taste, but I'd rather put new looking rubber on a 15" wheel than go to the 16" fuchs. At that point, you might as well get pasha seat inserts and a radiator. Sorry, I couldn't resist.
    MBR #3926
    '71 911 T Targa "Rick White"
    '71 911 E "Karen"
    '70 S/T
    '16 CD
    '10 E61 "Vomit Comet"

Quote Originally Posted by RickWhite View Post
    I have the RA1s on 7j and 8j x15s for the coupe, and apart from not resembling period correct, they are awesome high performance tires. Fine in rain. Heck, to our November DE, I drove them in freezing temps (admittedly out of a 50+ degree garage). I didn't notice a thing, though that might have been because I spent the drive trying to scrap ice off the front of my windshield so I could see. Turns out heat exchangers do serve a purpose. I run the sprint classics on my 6r/7r for the targa, and they are fine for the road, but the sidewall lets you down if you are driving extremely aggressively. They were a huge upgrade from the Michelins that were on my comfort wheels, though I'm sure a large part of that was going to the wider wheel. I will be getting CN36s as soon as possible or maybe the CR6ZZ...

All down to personal taste, but I'd rather put new looking rubber on a 15" wheel than go to the 16" fuchs. At that point, you might as well get pasha seat inserts and a radiator. Sorry, I couldn't resist.
    Off topic since the OP asked about 7 x15: I am running 6 x 15 Fuchs front and rear. I do not drive on a track, but I have some great mountain roads nearby. I got the Sprint Classics in 2020 after using A008Ps (195/65) for 2 sets worth, which for me is over 10 years. I have 3000 miles on them. They are somewhat of a letdown, the thing I notice most is dry traction accelerating out of a turn. However I'm a firm believer in: "it's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow". If I was going to do it over again I would have spent the extra bucks on the CN36s. Keep in mind that the suspension settings (spring rates, sway bar diameters) were designed for 185/70 sidewall flex.
    73 911S Targa