Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paint Sample - Bahama Yellow

Paint Sample - Bahama Yellow

I have a 67 911 that will be getting a color change back to the original Bahama Yellow towards the end of the year. In preparation I am doing some research on color and trying to find a good resource for factory original paint samples. I know Willhoit does this for 356, but unfortunately they don't have the early 911 samples. Does anybody know of a similar service available for the 911? This color in particular is a delicate balance of yellow and orange and have seen many different versions sprayed on various cars. I'm trying to go as close to factory original as possible. Thanks.

Matt,

You need to find someone with a factory Samples book, or a period Glaso chip book ...

https://members.rennlist.com/tweedt/glasurit.htm

You should be able to find someone in the Bay Area ... You might want to ask Jim Breazeal (he posts here by his name)

Trying to match it online we're all at the mercy of all the different monitors in the world...

The Factory samples book looks like this... and I see the chip you're looking for comes out pretty 'brown' on my monitor...

Good luck,

Chuck
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

I am in Santa Cruz and have several samples of Bahama yellow. In glasurit and DuPont.
    Which is a very good color by the way.

I also know a paint store that can mix a small amount under $50.
    Also online is automotivetouchup.com, they mix small samples. Under $40, and have been remarkably accurate.

Current long term ownership: 63 Cab, 71 911, 74 914

Great! Thanks all for the help.

I would recommend Glasurit 22 line single stage. Any reputable Gasurit dealer with a perfectionist as their mixer can accurately mix in correct ratio to obtain a perfect match right out of the can -- I used it for Bali Blue, Aga Blue and Polo Red. Accurate State Gray is better obtained thru Standox single stage.
    John Schiavone

Connecticut

356 Cab, 66 911, 914-6, 550-Beck, 981 Cayman, 54 MV Agusta Dustbid

Bahama yellow, like Tangerine, is sensitive in final appearance to the tone of the primer/sealer used just before its application. Glasurit will have a recommendation for sealer color for Bahama yellow (e.g., white, light grey, dark grey, etc.). Your car was originally painted in single stage paint (whether Glasurit or Lesonal), baked enamel. I know for sure that Bahama yellow is still an active color in both the 22 and 55 lines of Glasurit as I have recently painted 2 1967 912s with it. Keep in mind that pigments and additives of a given color (e.g., Bahama Yellow) have changed over the years, and if you were to view a "perfect" original paint car (1967) it would appear "different" from an identical car freshly painted in the same color with the same paint manufacturer. Of course, you will use modern catalyzed urethane after stripping the car to bare metal, then epoxy primer, then catalyzed urethane primer, then final sealer before the paint (given body work between beginning and final sealer). You have chosen a color that looks wonderful on the lines of the early 911/912 cars. Here is an example of one of the cars I painted. Note how "unnatural" a computer monitor can make things look. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1967-porsche-912-19/

in my experience, it seems both Bahama Yellow and Signal Yellow show quite a variance in shading/color. Maybe it has to do with what Jim describes above. I recently observed this at a cars and coffee event where there were a few cars of these colors to compare. My car is Signal Yellow and I was sensitive to this when I had it painted.

BTW, that 912 looks fantastic, Jim!
    Bill

Early 911S Registry Member #4087
    Instagram: @myflat6

'72T hotrod 210 0228
    '82SC Targa
    '97C4S (sold - and regretting it)

Within the subject of variation in color.

This driver door was painted from the exact same gallon of paint, one day later.
    The weather seemed the same.

The door came out much darker, so a week later I had to fix it.
    I used more hardener and painted thicker.

1. try to paint all at once. (I couldn’t at the time)
    But even painting in one day may not match the color you are trying to match, from the same can, you could be like, that came out a shade darker than I was wanting.
    2. Just the way you do it will change the color, that’s the real message here. You have to do test samples and try to repeat technique from that test sample that met with your approval.
    Even then…
    Name:  6E06CB97-3B4F-4105-9024-C6CB7C05B398.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  123.8 KB
    Before

Name:  9F022E03-A008-4DB3-B314-63FD30E7ABF7.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  118.0 KB
    After
    Last edited by Scott A; 04-28-2022 at 06:26 PM.

Current long term ownership: 63 Cab, 71 911, 74 914

Name:  PXL_20220107_210820090.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  173.4 KB

Awesome, thank you all for the input. Here is the "before" picture. I will be sure to update this with the "after".

Once you pick the color. Have your painter spray a test panel. Like it was stated previously, there are so many variables other than just the correct color code and manufacturer.
    A part isn't purchased until paid.

The 9 Store LLC.