Thread: Does This Look Like a Genuine Porsche Oil Crossover Pipe?

Does This Look Like a Genuine Porsche Oil Crossover Pipe?

I wanted to buy a genuine Porsche oil crossover pipe with the yellow Cad looking plating. Pelican had it for $300, but it was no longer available even on back order. So I tried another long established 911 parts company, and their website had a genuine Porsche oil crossover pipe with a pic of the original looking yellow plating for $165. The pic below is what I got. They said that these have been coming in as clear zinc and they just did not update the pic. But a couple things have me wondering if it's genuine Porsche: one is that there is already thin rust colored corrosion spots right out of the box, its not the original looking plating, and there is no actual Porsche label anywhere, just a taped on portion of a label with german words that would suggest it's a porsche part, without actually saying it. What do you think?Name:  IMG_7475.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  90.0 KBName:  IMG_7474.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  62.1 KBName:  IMG_7471 2.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  55.5 KB
    Member #3896
    1973.5 911 T
    1974 911
    1974 CB750K

Close up of label would help. There are sources in Germany for "OEM" parts that are really remanufactured parts. Sometimes they are from the OEM supplier and are built for resale.

Not to imply it is not a good part just that it's built for todays market.

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    Looks like the generally available pipe in the aftermarket. The usual issue is the alignment/ fitment of the sheet metal tab to the bolt hole. All the ones I bought were yellow zinc. Lots of the parts available today are clear zinc, silver.

I have an an original yellow zinc plated. PM me with your email if you would like to purchase one.
    Tom Butler
    1973 RSR Clone
    1970 911E
    914-6 GT Clone in Progress

Many countries no longer allow yellow cadmium plating due to the high toxicity. The production waste is the biggest environmental issue, not the finished parts (unless someone cuts the parts with a torch and vaporizes the plating).

The cadmium plating process is toxic and restricted in many areas however the yellow parts on 911s are/were generally zinc plated with a yellow chromate wash.
    Last edited by 356rider; 01-27-2022 at 12:13 PM.