Thread: Chrome Top of Door Trim

Chrome Top of Door Trim

** SOLD** Chrome, not aluminum, with straight ends for cars without curved door frame wings, some scratches on one end, otherwise decent. Re-chrome for show car. $70 plus fees and shipping to ContUS
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by John912; 02-19-2022 at 08:13 AM.
    John Schiavone

Connecticut

356 Cab, 66 911, 914-6, 550-Beck, 981 Cayman, 54 MV Agusta Dustbid

I don't quite follow what is meant by "curved door frame wings". Are you referring to the vent window, or rear rain/wind deflector?

It looks like the scratches are on the forward end of the left side door trim?

Ultimately, if these are the correct top of door moldings for 1965-1967 window frames (brass, pivoting vent windows, and rear deflectors), I'm interested. Thanks.

By "curved door frame wings" I mean rain/wind deflector/wedge located at rear vertical section of door frame. Yes they are brass/chrome but will NOT fit 1965-1967 window frames if they have rear rain/wind deflector at door frame mentioned earlier. That requires trim where one end has radius to accommodate rain/wind deflector. Hope that all makes sense. I'm not sure if there's a clear distinction as to when they removed the rain/wind deflector/wedge located at rear vertical section of door frame. But you can look at your car's door frames and figure that out.
    John Schiavone

Connecticut

AFAIK, deflectors were standard on coupe window frames until the frames switched to aluminum for 68. Targas wouldn't have had deflectors and I understand that targa window frames remained chrome over brass through 73, so I suspect these are correct for a targa.

Quote Originally Posted by BraydenP View Post
    AFAIK, deflectors were standard on coupe window frames until the frames switched to aluminum for 68. Targas wouldn't have had deflectors and I understand that targa window frames remained chrome over brass through 73, so I suspect these are correct for a targa.
    Sounds right, I had a 68 SWT and the set I'm listing here may have been a spare set from that car,
    John Schiavone

Connecticut

Bump for decent chrome trim unique to 68-73 Targa
    John Schiavone

Connecticut

I'm interested
    Kirk

It is not my intent to intrude, but I have been led to believe that coupe trim has a slight radius on the rear end where it meets the window frame of the coupe (which does not exist on a targa).

The targa has a square end because there is no window frame.

The photos were not very clear on this detail, but it looked like this might be a mixed set. My apologies for the intrusion.

Quote Originally Posted by mshaver51 View Post
    It is not my intent to intrude, but I have been led to believe that coupe trim has a slight radius on the rear end where it meets the window frame of the coupe (which does not exist on a targa).

The targa has a square end because there is no window frame.

The photos were not very clear on this detail, but it looked like this might be a mixed set. My apologies for the intrusion.

No intrusion, we're al here to learn. Not sure what you mean by mixed set, however, as they appear to be mirror images to one another.

Regarding: "coupe trim has a slight radius on the rear end where it meets the window frame of the coupe (which does not exist on a targa)." You are correct. SWB coupes have a radiused chromed wind deflector mounted to the back side of the chrome window frame via small screws. See photos, one frame has the defector, the other has been removed.

Because of the coupe's wind deflector, which extends down to the top of the door on the outside, the horizontal chrome trim piece mounted to the top of the door also needs to be radiused at the rear to fit into/mate with the vertical radiused deflector. I assume targas didn't have the defector because it wasn't needed. Where as the B pillar of the coupe separated the push-out-at-the-rear quarter window, which (I assume) benefited by having the deflector to reduce wind noise, the B pillar on the targa was essentially the hoop.

In any case, they are sold
    Attached Images Attached Images
    John Schiavone

Connecticut

All good and thanks for engaging the discussion.