Thread: The ultimate Teka thread, factory SWB belts

The ultimate Teka thread, factory SWB belts

As I am nearing the completion of the restoration of my car I am being forced to study ever more small minutia, seat belts being one of them. I think the use of Teka belts in the SWB cars is pretty well known. Continuing from 356 practice the factory appears to have offered the following according to the october '65 accessory brochure:

- 9200/9201: 2 point lap belts (left & right)
    - 9202/9203: 2 point shoulder/diagonal belts (left & right)
    - 9204/9205: 3 point shoulder/diagonal belts (left & right)9208: Black lap belt USA approved

Both types of belts appear to have been offered in both grey and black. I make this statement based on my collection of original Teka belts. This is in conflict with a June 5, '64 document that states that only the 9200 and 9201 belts are available in black. The October brochure does not make any reference regarding color aside from the 9208 option which is referred to as black.

What I am trying to document is the following:

1. What is the difference in terms of belt length between the 2 point 9200/9201 and 9202/9203?
    2. Is there a difference between the 356 offered and 911 belts if any outside of color?
    3. What are the 9208 USA approved belts and were these also Teka?

Searching through the board I have been able to identify three distinct Teka part numbers as used for the black belts:

- 3 point: Typ T3 KAR(TAN-4) ~~G262
    - 2 point: Typ T2 KAR(TAN-3)-B ~~G354
    - 2 point: Typ T1 KAR(TAN-2)-A ~~G353

What is not clear is which two point part number belongs to the lap versus diagonal belts. Carefully measuring the buckle side of several seat belts shows belts with total webbing length of ~72-74CM and others having a total webbing length of ~97-99cm. My hypothesis would be for the buckle side of the belts to be longer on the lap belts versus the diagonal belts. This is however in conflict with the images in the October '65 brochure which shows the buckle side of the belts to be pretty much the same length. Based on the difference in the attachment points of the other side of the belt (underneath 1/4/ window for the diagonal 2-point, versus rear area for tegular 2-point) I would expect this part of the belt to be longer.

Studying the 356B parts manual supplement shows that the various part numbers associated with the belts are the same as those listed in the October '65 accessory brochure. This would imply that the belts are the same. However two things stand out:

- The 356 belts had the metal lever versus the black plastic for the 911. This might have just been a running change not necessitating a part number change
    - I have one original metal lever belt which I measured carefully. The side which has the buckle has a 112cm webbing length which is substantially longer than any black or grey plastic lever belt I have in my collection

Open to suggestions as I do not have any running hypothesis

How can you help? I would love to hear from people who have original Teka belts and better yet owners of cars with factory installed Teka belts. I'd be interested in the following:

- Careful measurements of the webbing length of both belts, tongue and buckle side
    - Any possible part number tags or ink stamps on your belts
    - Webbing routing through the buckle, does the webbing pass under the front "roller" or not
    - Owners of cars with the 9208 option

Webbing routing detail

Name:  WhatsApp Image 2022-02-05 at 16.10.48.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  90.6 KB
    Name:  WhatsApp Image 2022-02-05 at 16.10.42.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  83.1 KB
    Last edited by 718RSK; 02-06-2022 at 02:23 AM.

This tag is from a 2 point set with plastic buckles
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hi, Thanks for posting the tag. Any chance you could measure the length of the belt webbing on both sides?

Bump, there must be people out there with Teka's

Quote Originally Posted by 718RSK View Post
    Bump, there must be people out there with Teka's
    Not as many as you would think. You should reach out to Pete Bartelli in Florida.

Regards

Jim

Hi Joris,
    Here pictures of my Teka 3-point seat belts.
    Claudius

Name:  DSC09497.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  97.9 KB
    Name:  DSC09498.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  88.5 KB
    Name:  DSC09499.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  78.8 KB
    Name:  DSC09500.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  139.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by 68S_SK2 View Post
    Hi Joris,
    Here pictures of my Teka 3-point seat belts.
    Claudius

Name:  DSC09497.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  97.9 KB
    Name:  DSC09498.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  88.5 KB
    Name:  DSC09499.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  78.8 KB
    Name:  DSC09500.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  139.6 KB
    I do not want to hijack Joris’ thread, but if you ever sell them, please let me know. I am looking for 3-point Teka or ones of a Swedisch brand for a 67S restoration.