Thread: Help with ‘69 fog lights

Help with ‘69 fog lights

Got a used front bumper, and was told it was for a '69. Got new Hella fog lights and was told they were for a "69. See the pics of the bumper and Fog Lights and tell me what is wrong. Fog lights just don't seem to line up?
    Name:  IMG_1156.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  74.6 KB
    Name:  IMG_1152.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  103.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_1153.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  79.4 KB
    Name:  IMG_1155.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  66.4 KB
    Last edited by SIMI BOB; 02-22-2022 at 10:46 PM.

looks to be spacer

Name:  IMG_2717.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  66.2 KB

o2jake,
    Hard to tell from your pic whats going on there. Does anyone have a picture of the spacer? Thanks for the reply.
    Bob B

I'll show some photos.
    My car is a 71, but the bumper/bracket looks the same as yours to me.

I had to pre-fit the lights... And bend a few things before I painted the bumper.
    Once I saw a photo of 169s... With a spacer of some sort... And I thought...oh, that's how you do it...but I don't have that image.
    But a piece of my memory tells me it was a second nut.

Name:  8FDAD752-99E2-4CB8-AAB2-8B3BBA27D401.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  52.2 KB
    Straight up from the bottom. Laying flat on the ground.
    It may look as if edge of bracket is touching. It is not.

Name:  C4173459-5036-484D-AA99-D6DCB1E17E05.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  44.8 KB
    I put my wires up on top

Name:  FD8F58DD-75C9-43F0-8231-0A31309F95F8.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  56.1 KB
    Side view
    Yellow thing is a rubber-type cap. To keep water out.

Sorry. My iphone turned everything sideways... So that's not helping
    Last edited by Scott A; 02-23-2022 at 11:25 AM.

Current long term ownership: 63 Cab, 71 911, 74 914

Scott, thanks so much for the pics. Good to know that I got the right bumper (bought it at the Anaheim swap meet many years ago from Harvey Weideman, Fuchs guy. I figured he knew what he was talking about, ex Porsche employee). So now I see that my brackets are bent a bit, so I will straighten them and maybe use one or two washers.
    Thanks all, Bob B
    Last edited by SIMI BOB; 02-23-2022 at 05:18 PM.

Bob, open up the lights,, That whole mounting post is adjustable around the center point of the back case by loosening the interior lock nut. With the front bezel/lens removed, you should be able to install the case back and aim them, tighten down the mount and reinstall the front bezel. You have the right lights and bumper..

The original parts manuals' illustrations kinda suck for these because they still show the old 128s. No mention of an additional spacer between the bumper bracket and the light post. If it were me, I'd space them out with thick rubber washers rather than metal if still needed.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Michael, Thanks so much for your Input. Good to hear that both Bumper and Light were the right part. I will add some Pics so people can see what you are talking about.
    Thanks, Bob B
    Name:  IMG_1158.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  110.7 KB
    Name:  IMG_1157.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  125.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Scott A View Post
    I put my wires up on top
    Scott, can you clarify this comment? I had posted an earlier question (in my own thread) asking about the routing of wires but received no responses. After some test fitting I determined there was no real way to have the wires routed to the top of the lights as the bracket/fender obstructs that option. So I've opted for mine to route on the underside. I enclosed the wires in some 8mm sheath to protect, and they are clear of danger unless I take out a wombat in the country-side - but I'd have bigger problems then anyway..
    '95 993 | '70 911T