Thread: Casper 11801191

what is your engine case number?

Quote Originally Posted by brookedale091462 View Post
    what is your engine case number?
    Case number: 4081461
    1968 911 S
    Searching for transmission # 2281852
    EarlyS #4172

We fished the pedal assembly because the clutch pedal was rusted in place. Took a lot of work to get it apart but luckily a friend of mine was nice enough get it done for me. Some paint and fresh bushing. It's ready to go back in the car. I only painted the parts that will be hidden by the carpet so the pedals retain the patina.

Name:  IMG_1128.jpg
Views: 587
Size:  124.6 KB
    1968 911 S
    EarlyS #4172

Every day is one step closer to the first start in over 30 years! Glad I could join on the pedal cluster reinstall. The engine bay looks nice and cleaned up too. How about a couple more pictures?
    =================================
    The Citrus Collection
    74 911 Carrera Targa - light yellow
    74 911 Carrera Targa - orange
    74 911 Carrera Targa - lime green

I don’t have much more in the way of pictures but here is the pedal assembly and new gas pedal installed.

Name:  785F66CC-9384-4920-AD54-12D754377C9E.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  199.7 KB
    1968 911 S
    EarlyS #4172

^^^^ Ready to go!
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

We pressurized the oil system as a means to make sure the rockers will be feed for the first start. Looks good. Here is a video

https://youtube.com/shorts/U_ERHJ7dwx0?feature=share
    1968 911 S
    EarlyS #4172

Been a while on the updates. It's been a little warm here in Texas which has been limiting my time with the car. Temps have been a bit better recently so we have been putting in some work. We are getting closer to starting it but there is still a bit to do. The remaining work is in getting the fuel system fully connected and ensuring that the proper electrical circuits are working as required. The valve covers are back on; the original lowers leaked so I replaced them with the 930 style. The hard line running from the tunnel to the fuel pump was rotted so that was replaced. We replaced the front fuse box because the corrosion had taken it. My buddies truck was stolen with my alternator and fan blade inside; the truck was recovered but my parts were gone so that had to be replaced. Spark plugs were replaced and new wires were put in. The engine electrical panel was taken out. The ballast relay was tested and is working. The panel should be ready to go back in tomorrow with a new fuel pump and ignition coil. Intake manifolds, carbs and new to me air cleaner is back in.

Next up: order the remaining hardware for alternator, get the new gas tank in and finalize the fuel system.

Name:  Screenshot 2022-09-05 3.18.55 PM.png
Views: 385
Size:  352.1 KB
    1968 911 S
    EarlyS #4172

Electrical panel back in.

Name:  IMG_1691.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  110.2 KB
    1968 911 S
    EarlyS #4172

Just been watching your progress on the car and as we have discussed, all of your work reveals a story. So, we were told that the car hasn't run in 30 over years. Your work seems to confirm the 30 years timeframe. As systems were removed, many parts had been replaced with "substitute" non-Porsche or not correct years Porsche parts.

I think this car was someone's daily driver back in the day, but I don't think the owner had a Porsche or VW repair shop anywhere that was convenient. The repairs make me think that the owner worked on the car themselves and used parts that were available back before the internet. Perhaps they were pulled off a 911 in a junkyard and were early 911 car parts but not the correct year. Metal gaskets cut from old highway signs, intake manifolds utilizing JB Weld to block off passages that were wrong due to using the incorrect year's part are a couple of examples.

The car reminds me of when I would work on my own cars in the late 70s and early 80s when I did not have the money to buy new parts or just needed to do a quick fix to get the car back on the road when Monday rolled around. "What can I do to keep this thing running?"

I can't wait to hear the engine fire again!
    Dad
    =================================
    The Citrus Collection
    74 911 Carrera Targa - light yellow
    74 911 Carrera Targa - orange
    74 911 Carrera Targa - lime green