Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Casper 11801191

Casper 11801191

4 years ago a coworker mentioned to me that his father owned an old Porsche. He knew I was a Porsche guy because of the 944 turbo I was daily driving at the time. My close family would tell you I'm a bit of a treasure hunter so of course I wanted to hear more. He sent me a few pictures and I started diving in to learning more about the car. He said is was a 'S' which at the time didn't mean too much to me. I grew up around my father's 74 Carreras so I knew a lot about the mid year cars but not a lot about the long hoods, let alone the SWB cars. My father has rubbed off on me which means I believe in saving every Porsche. It turns out that this was a 1968 911S with matching engine and non-matching transmission 11801191. It had been in my coworker's family for nearly 30 years and by their estimate hadn't been on the road since the early 90's.

This is the oldest picture he had. Circa 2006

Name:  IMG_0970.JPG
Views: 1325
Size:  76.0 KB

I was definitely interested in buying the car when I first heard about it but I wasn't really in the position to. Fresh out of college, I didn't have any way to take on this type of project. I did make an offer but, it just wasn't going to work out. Some time went by but I hadn't forgotten about the S sleeping in a desert. Cut to the start 2020 and thought about this car came back to me. I started the conversation again and even took it upon myself to get the Kardex. I tried to solidify a deal to get the car but it seemed the seller still had an interest in hanging on to it. I'd have to continue waiting until the owner was ready to move on.

Name:  IMG_0472.JPG
Views: 1341
Size:  188.7 KB
    Name:  IMG_4368.JPG
Views: 1333
Size:  182.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_4379.JPG
Views: 1331
Size:  180.6 KB
    Name:  IMG_4397.JPG
Views: 1339
Size:  162.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_4399.JPG
Views: 1331
Size:  130.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_4130.JPG
Views: 1285
Size:  143.7 KB
    Name:  IMG_4134.JPG
Views: 1306
Size:  92.8 KB

Late in 2021 I rehashed the conversation about buying the car. This time I want to show that I was seriously interesting in owning the car. I decided to take the 17 hour drive to finally see the car in person. There was a light snow on the ground when I first got to put my eyes and hands on the car.

Name:  IMG_0377.jpg
Views: 1347
Size:  189.1 KB

On my drive home we were able to reach a deal over the phone. After years of chasing the car I couldn't believe it was going to be mine. We set a date for the car to be delivered, February 20th. On Sunday I took possession of the 'S' which has been named Casper, The (hopefully) friendly 911.

Me and my girl on the first day of ownership

Name:  IMG_0703.jpg
Views: 1320
Size:  180.0 KB

There is obviously a lot wrong with the car, it hasn't run is 30 years and some of the bits are not correct for a '68 S (I'm sure yall can tell). We are going to fix it though. I started this thread so that I can post progress as well as learn as much as I can from this forum.

Drew (Druepy)

You love to see it! Congrats and looking forward to to your progress. Do you have an insta where you will share progress?

Thumbs up

BIG CONGRATS DREW !!!!!

Hope you'll share your progress here...

Your adventures have just begun.....

Cheers,

cm
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Persistence is key in these deals. I am glad to hear you were finally able to negotiate the purchase. You came to the right place here as there are many people that are kind to share their knowledge.

Smells like a post with incredible content! Share here everything you want and can!!

Good luck and enjoy the journey. Welcome to the rare 68S club.

Scott
    1968 911S
    1986 Carrera
    2006 Carrera S

1973 BMW 3.0CS - Frances (gone but not forgotten)

Subscribed!
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Thanks everyone for the kind words. Does anyone know what the "warhlicht" option is on the kardex? I cannot find information about it including on derwhites356literature.com/KardexvCertificateofAuthenticity

Quote Originally Posted by camarilla View Post
    You love to see it! Congrats and looking forward to to your progress. Do you have an insta where you will share progress?
    I hadn't thought about doing an insta. We will see how things progress and if I do I'll post it here

Congrats. You dug up your treasure!

Subscribed! I look forward to learning about early cars and helping you on this journey wherever I can.

Dad
    Last edited by mark 74 Carrera; 02-23-2022 at 06:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Druepy View Post
    Thanks everyone for the kind words. Does anyone know what the "warhlicht" option is on the kardex? I cannot find information about it including on derwhites356literature.com/KardexvCertificateofAuthenticity

I hadn't thought about doing an insta. We will see how things progress and if I do I'll post it here
    Warnlicht means hazard light (the g in Sonderausstattung makes ‘n’ look like an ‘h’).

https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...=1#post1091026

The early owner's manual shows emergency flasher switch between the fog light and gas heater switches (US only). Anybody got a factory fitted one before October 1965?