Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Casper 11801191

I would guess you’re planning on a complete repaint. That said, would sure be cool to redo all the mechanicals plus interior while retaining the wonderful patina on the body!
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Quote Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
    Great update. Making good progress. I also grabbed a 67/68 Florida Plate and am hoping to register it. Luckily Black too.

Scott
    Black does seem to be the most versatile. Very lucky!

Quote Originally Posted by 72targa View Post
    I would guess you’re planning on a complete repaint. That said, would sure be cool to redo all the mechanicals plus interior while retaining the wonderful patina on the body!
    Well eventually I’d like to have it repainted but for the next few years I am going to just aim to make it a safe, some what reliable car while rocking the patina exterior. We have also been toying with the idea of doing something a little more fun. Maybe making it look like an only road rallye car by painting on some stripes manual aging them to blend with the patina. If it is going to be rusty for a while it might as well be interesting. If I were to do this I’d shoot for something like the picture below (from the old rallye photos thread). No adjustment to the body just visual things. Stripes, driving lights, black Fuchs…Name:  81874975-3A0B-4D44-9F14-8133942B7BF1.png
Views: 520
Size:  411.9 KB

The problem with "patina" rust is it never stops. What is surface rust today becomes rot tomorrow. I have seen people clear coat such cars, but I feel that detracts from the patina even if it slows the oxidation process. I'd be cautious. These cars can dissolve before your eyes depending on the environment they are in. If you are in a nice hot, dry place, you may likely get away with it. Any humidity and look out!

Ravi
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernThrux View Post
    The problem with "patina" rust is it never stops. What is surface rust today becomes rot tomorrow. I have seen people clear coat such cars, but I feel that detracts from the patina even if it slows the oxidation process. I'd be cautious. These cars can dissolve before your eyes depending on the environment they are in. If you are in a nice hot, dry place, you may likely get away with it. Any humidity and look out!

Ravi
    Your definitely right but central Texas summer are pretty dry. Spring is a little wet but it should be alright

Does anyone have the pdf Porsche shop manual for the SWB cars? I have searched and found a few threads that used to have links in them to download but they all seem to be outdated at this point.

Not shop manuals but if looking for parts diagram with related part number go to auto Atlanta and you can scroll to parts
    Then listed years and 911 to get to 65-68 then they have all the diagrams with related part numbers.
    The use part numbers for google search for those parts .
    Can also go to Sunset Porsche or other P dealers and use the part number for price etc.
    73.5 Snrf T
    71 Snrf T
    70S targa
    76 914 2.0
    82 Targa,
    85 Alfa GTV6
    60 Lancia Appia Zagato GTE
    Searching for transmission 7115322 (911/01)

Quote Originally Posted by 71gold View Post
    Not shop manuals but if looking for parts diagram with related part number go to auto Atlanta and you can scroll to parts
    Then listed years and 911 to get to 65-68 then they have all the diagrams with related part numbers.
    The use part numbers for google search for those parts .
    Can also go to Sunset Porsche or other P dealers and use the part number for price etc.
    Ya thanks for the heads up! I downloaded the parts catalog but am really looking for the pdf of the shop manuals

It's available for download for free on the 912 forum www.912bbs.org - each section is in pdf, including the Engine for the 911

Direct link to the Resources Section: https://www.912bbs.org/forum/resourc...ory-manuals.5/

Quote Originally Posted by mathieulecomte View Post
    It's available for download for free on the 912 forum www.912bbs.org - each section is in pdf, including the Engine for the 911

Direct link to the Resources Section: https://www.912bbs.org/forum/resourc...ory-manuals.5/
    Great! Thank you!

Another interesting clue that informs us about the life this car lived 30+ years ago. The oil breather cover had some type of putty in the rear left quadrant. Turns out this is not the right cover for a '68. It comes from an earlier 911. The putty was used to try and block that corner as the case seemed to have evolved. There is also evidence on the case itself that shows this was not actually working as a proper seal. The carbs are getting rebuilt and parts are coming in the mail just about every day.

I am looking for a 67-68 S Intake Manifold 901.108.321.0R if you have 1 or a set laying around let me know!

Name:  IMG_1052.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  87.9 KB
    1968 911 S
    Searching for transmission # 2281852
    EarlyS #4172