Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: My move to the dark side

Quote Originally Posted by bob joyce View Post
    I am no expert. But when i had that itch i was encouraged by those that know better to buy the newest Boxster you can.
    I bought a 2005 Boxster S with 30,000 miles. that was back around 2012 before the twin turbo 4 bangers were around
    I have never regrated it.... love the car.
    I have test driven the twin turbo 4 banger and that car is awesome.
    most of 2005 and on up, the ims is more b.s. than reality. (According to the lawyers that did the class suit)
    Thanks, Bob. I wondered if the 4 cylinder cars would be a disappointment. Sounds like that isn't the case. There's a part of me that's drawn to ordering a new one with the custom paint option. Ridiculously expensive but they offer Aetna blue, same as on my 356. (You only live once.) I don't need to go fast, but would I be foolish for not spending extra for an S?

there may be an unwritten rule that if you buy a Porsche, especially if you are getting it second hand (discounted). You go with "S".
    But the late Boxster i tested was not an "S" and was a blast. (I did not get to test an "S" and My imagination was all that I had)
    So ..... Go out with an open mind and test drive them to see what you think.

Modern cars (any Boxster/Cayman/WC 911, etc) are outrageously fast and I have driven many of them ... but to have real fun one have to drive TOO FAST for the real world road and traffic conditions ... that becomes at the same time dangerous and frustrating ... (unless you live close to certain area of Germany and lucky enough to find an empty autobahn in dry conditions).
    I have a 1993 964 Turbo 3.6 ... she is too much already.
    I'd only go for GT3 RS / GT4 RS (to add to aircooled, not to replace them) ... so irrationally uncomfortable that give you the shivers even in the parking lot

My 0.50 eurocents ...
    Member #2768 http://www.no-speedlimit.it

• 1973 Biancaneve - 911 2.4 S/F Ivory
    • 1977 Fiona - 911 Carrera 3.0 Oak Green Metallic
    • 1993 Bellatrix - 964 Turbo 3.6 Black

I keep a registry of 1972 and 1973 2.4 S coupé chassis. Infos always welcome!!!

Instagram
    Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by swcarroll View Post
    Considering a Boxster. More than a little clueless about years, updates, etc. Somewhat aware of IMS bogeyman. Suggestions?
    I've read more than once (among others by Pete Stout - 000) that the very first non-S 2.5 Boxster is a real blast. Not fast but with a great engine note.

@Biancaneve: you are right of course! But Turbo power is addictive. And the GT3 is not practical for more-or-less daily use. I find the 996 Turbo also fun to drive slowly in the city... the somewhat nervous but at the same time soothing growl from the exhaust always reminding you of the possibilities on an open road... where it changes into a metallic snarl...
    1970 2.2S Elfenbeinweiss
    1972 2.4T Targa Aubergine (MFI) [For sale]
    2002 996 TT Midnight Blue
    Member #3833