Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elecrical panel

Elecrical panel

Decided to leave it to a more talented member to restore my original board and opted to go with Kroon reproduction board (well made and reasonable price). This is my progress so far. Been working on this Targa restoration through the experts for so long I decided this is one piece I could get my hands dirty on. Purchased the coil when Raj was still a member of ESR. Purchased the Bosch relay from Sierra Madre when it was only $229.00. Now see its listed for $429.00 by two vendors. Cover on the new one was too short so I cannibalized the old cover and painted it to get a more authentic looking one. Pictures illustrate original style workings vs. new electronic stuff in case anybody interested. Big question right now id how many ground cables attach to the board? I have one for the fuel pump. Kroon seems to indicate two. One for the pump and one for the board itself which I assume is screwed into the car body. What would be correct? Any thoughts?

Name:  20220225_123627.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  83.6 KB

Name:  20220210_120743.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  102.2 KBName:  20220210_120811.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  45.0 KB
    Last edited by doigthom; 02-25-2022 at 06:58 PM.

The ground for the board is a stud welded to the left inner fender panel, just forward of the relay board.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

I'm sure you know this, but you'll want to take a toothbrush style wire brush and clean up your ground cable and eye terminals, as well as the body stud and area around it so you have a solid metal-to-metal connection. Also use a little dielectric grease at the terminal ends.
    John Schiavone

Connecticut

356 Cab, 66 911, 914-6, 550-Beck, 981 Cayman, 54 MV Agusta Dustbid

Thanks John. Thanks Ed. Just to further clarify one issue. The fuel pump has its own ground wire that goes from the back of the panel to around the front of the panel and is attached to the top of one of the rubber isolators underneath the fuel pump mounting bracket. A second cable is attached at the same point on the back of the panel but it is the one that goes to the body stud. Am I right? I also see some panels without the fuel pump rubber isolators. Is that correct or better?

If my memory still serves me, the board is mounted to the side body via (3?) rubber isolators, and the fuel pump to the board via 2. An eye-terminal crimped to the fuel pump ground wire is stacked with the eye terminal of the braided ground wire, which I believe is mounted just behind the panel atop the insulator -- then the braided ground wire attaches to the body stud. Check continuity with a meter such that the panel and pump are both grounded. Early 911s, at least my 66, have another ground wire, I'm not really sure why, at the other end of the panel at rear of car that extends to sheet-metal (?) at the front of the engine. I have to look at my car to make sure of the exact location.
    John Schiavone

Connecticut

Thanks for a second answer John. Just tried to fit my banjo fittings to my fuel pump. Too small. will it never end!

Quote Originally Posted by doigthom View Post
    Thanks for a second answer John. Just tried to fit my banjo fittings to my fuel pump. Too small. will it never end!
    When using the newer Bendix pumps and banjo fittings sold by someone on this site, I had to tap the treads to get them to mate.
    John Schiavone

Connecticut

I don't know what you have, but the banjos I use are 10 X 1.00. The pump you probably have is a Facet which can be tapped for the 10 X 1.00 threads and banjos. These aren't as big as the banjos used on the original Bendix pumps, but at least they will banjos, not some 5/16" SAE nipple.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Thanks guys.

I don't think your question was really answered . There are two separate wires from the body stud for the relay board and the fuel pump .