Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Strange seat insert material

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Smith View Post
    All I can say is that my 70T came new with the seats that the vehicle description page describes as inlay Pepita/houndstooth. Also shown in pictures in the post.
    Some folks seem to think they know more. ??????

If discussed „red/black/white“ seat inserts are factory, they should be indicated on the Kardex and also, will have a different name, as its pattern is not „Pepita/Houndstooth/Pied de Poule“, which has a very distinct pattern, also used in the fashion industry.

Here below are the factory correct „Pepita/Houndstooth“ Fabric samples, Original samples issued by the Factory, named as „Hounds Tooth Check Fabric“.

Source:
    Factory Dealer Upholstery Folder, 1970/1971, 2.2models.
    Issued for USA/Row Factory authorized Porsche Dealers, Item is in my ownership.

Note also the specific weave pattern and cut thread surface of these samples, off-white base with black or black/beige pattern. For 2.2liter models, Black seats always had black/white pattern.
    (Only in 1967/68 an optional white/red houndstooth fabric insert pattern existed, always within red vinyl/leather seats, i recall.)

Name:  IMG_8459.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  70.0 KB

Name:  IMG_8460.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  43.5 KB

Name:  IMG_8462.jpg
Size:  48.1 KB

Name:  IMG_8461.jpg
Size:  45.7 KB
    Last edited by 911T1971; 03-05-2024 at 01:34 AM.
    Registry member No.773

that should be cleared for now for the car ordered with the interiour code 13 shown by Karim.
    Black white Pepita would have been the off-factory delivery status!

Interior Trim: 13 Interior panels & seats Leatherette Black, Seat inlay Pepita/houndstooth, Carpet Black

Still it is a mystery, how different cars in different regions of the world end up with the likewise
    „mexican pepita“ pattern.

there must be a thin red line between these cars…
    59 750 pre unit triton
    63 650 gray silver bikinitub triumph thunderbird
    70 650 astralred silver triumph bonneville
    65 912 slate gray "erwin"
    73 914 ravennagreen "ferdl"
    erwin_loves_polo

i think it just strengthens the fact that at any time or thing
    Porsche will do what they please/what's on hand
    expecting the factory to do only what is in a time specific parts book or brochure is folly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Smith View Post
    Here is the information on the seats and 911. So????????
    my question is what is the source of the infomation in the sheet. Who and when produced. It doesn’t look like it’s 70s but seems to be a modern transcription? How much reliance can be put on it. Rather than fahzeug auftag or kardex from car when new. While those old ones may not all be perfect it is certainly known some of the coa at one time from Porsche were woeful. Embarrassment to Porsche. I sent my coa back to Porsche to be corrected three times — like a schoolteacher marking kids homework all covered in red ink — ticks and crosses. What they didn’t know I had the fahzeug aufktrag and numerous other factory sources that correlated so was certain of my ground .. what was interesting was even without showing that they meekly obliged. Don’t know the provenance of the paper in the earlier post . Just asking as it’s being used to draw conclusions. How reliable is info? I have similar multi year interior reference binder to Karim with swatches and haven’t seen the type in car — certainly cheerful colour scheme.

No clue if factory tbh but suspect looking at detail of how work done — how put together vs how factory did it at time is best bet. By way of example: I have a fondness for certain make of suits having bought many over the years and have lots in my wardrobe — obviously haven’t seen all the fabrics and while they are classic the style has changed a bit. However I can tell by looking at the tailors workmanship in inside in the bits not visible an instant if it’s their work. Likewise shoes. I don’t need to see the label to know it’s from the oldest shoe maker in Britain used by me (and my grandfather). Is just very obvious when see it.

I wouldn’t have the knowledge to do so for seats used in Porsche I’m sure some folks here can identify the hallmark workmanship details in seat upholstery of that period if that less visible detail of the examples get shown — maybe photos of those less obvious tells would inform discussion while than closeups of the weave of the fabric. Even if material was novel unlikely folks making them for rectory would change ways of upholstering so will leacr typical tells as seen in the commonplace ones .

I don’t have a dog in the fight but since it’s rumbled on for several years I’m now mildly curious hence offering this suggestion

Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 03-05-2024 at 04:28 AM.

that is a great idea
    although it is pretty easy to duplicate the Porsche upholstery work.

461663 was the vin of my 912 that came with those seats(to me).
    it was a very untouched car with(1)19466 miles on the odo
    Attached Images Attached Images  

https://www.etsy.com/de/listing/5920...billy-car-buff

SALE - Dreamy Rockabilly Car Buff Upholstery Fabric 50's Black, White Diamond Woven Frise in Red Square//Very Durable

maybe s.o. with an etsy account can contact the seller
    and ask for its origin…
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    59 750 pre unit triton
    63 650 gray silver bikinitub triumph thunderbird
    70 650 astralred silver triumph bonneville
    65 912 slate gray "erwin"
    73 914 ravennagreen "ferdl"
    erwin_loves_polo

Well found Sherlock. So it is vintage from fifties.

If that’s the original name of the cloth (which I doubt) “Dreamy Rockabilly Car Buff Upholstery Fabric” then it doesn’t sound very fifties or European
    It certainly would stand out if on kardex or a swatch in the maroon dealer interior reference binder!

With the shop owners name and the name of the business in listing: “UrbanBurpVintage. My name is Electra” suspect the name of the vintage cloth as listed was spiced up more recently by a trendy artsy cloth collector / vendor.

Handy to buy some spare to keep with car if it is a factory material
    Last edited by 911MRP; 03-04-2024 at 10:49 PM.

4 arguments speaking against works delivery:

1. No Piping, the thread is visible on the survace of the fabric
    2. Two different upper thread colours on the two samples, one is black one is bright white
    3. Different stich length of the seam in the samples, one is too long
    4. Layout of the fabric, as Bob already mentioned -one horizontal, one vertical

As we all know that we Germans love the standardization I cannot imagine that Porsche did work in that way

Best
    Michael

My opinion..its definitely not a period Porsche fabric issued by the factory on these cars, but a widely available “Rockability“ - Upholstery Fabric” of more modern origin, not even related to Porsche cars.

Also, the “Houndstooth / Pied de Poule“ is a very specific geometry pattern, which is not seen on the topic‘s seat but, indicated as on the modern day information sheet via a COA, but which is not the period original Kardex.

(Kardex cannot be optained anymore for 70 and later cars, they were on microfiche, not handwritten as earlier cars).
    Registry member No.773