Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Cheapest 911 Soft Window Targa that actually runs

Hi chuck
    I have been communicating witty icemanhd. There is a cool story here. His story of his euro soft window and my latest story of a car on BaT is the same car. One that was only on the road from 1968-1974 before a 46 year slumber in a garage near Seattle. This could end up being a quality story for the Essex.
    Is there a way to move my posts to this thread .
    Thanks
    Dennis

Dennis,

I think we got it done ... sorry for the wait bud
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Thanks Chuck!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Miller View Post
    Dennis,

I think we got it done ... sorry for the wait bud

Icemanhd has been super helpful in adding to the back story on this 68 Soft Window Targa. #183 of less than 300 soft window 68 Targas.
    He owned the car just a few years back and had begun a story on the forum. Chuck meshed my story to his and that is what you are reading here.
    The story is getting really bizarre. First, it was acquired new in Germany and is on the road for less than 8 years before a four decade slumber. In those 8 years it goes through two repaints; Irish Green to Polo Red and then gray. Between 1974-1976 it is taking apart for a restoration and never put back together. Just a few years ago Icemanhd sells it to an auction house who does work for the LeMay Museum. The auction house removed the seats with headrests for a later type and switched the original fuchs for 1974+ versions. The Teka seat belts were also stripped out. Until then the originality of the parts was very good except for the matching engine that was possibly used and abused early on.
    One of the oddities of the chassis is that the floor pans are very good. It is the outer rockers and front that developed rust. Makes one wonder what the garage looked like in the damp Pacific Northwest.
    Again I want to thank Icemanhd for data, photos and his history with previous owners.

Great story, please keep us updated on progress. Let me know if you need details, I have two 1188xxx SWT.

~J~
    air cooled only