Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grumpy Old Man

Grumpy Old Man

Am I the only one annoyed by the banner that pops up when logging in to the forum?
    It blocks the login tab until it is moved. I can’t find a way to get rid of the fu^*+ng thing.

Jim

Download an ad blocker. I don't know how people survive the internet without one. It is intolerable with ads.
    MBR #3926
    '71 911 T Targa "Rick White"
    '71 911 E "Karen"
    '70 S/T
    '16 CD
    '10 E61 "Vomit Comet"

I'm with you Jim! It sucks.
    72S, 72T now ST

I agree but not as bad as the BOT activity currently on the board. Over the past couple of weeks I have been noticing more BOTS shown as "members" than actual real members on the board when I have been looking at it. They can be recognized as having a nonsensical long user name, having become members mostly in April to July 2015, being constantly on the board looking at "viewing page" and have no activity like posts etc since becoming a "member". However i am sure they are scraping every piece of identity they can off the board like phone numbers email addresses etc and anything else that people inadvertently post that reveals private information. The other day there were 17 bots and 6 real members looking (at least showing as "members")

One of the bots (I presume) sent me an email (to the one I used to use for the board before changing it due to the number of spam emails I was getting) today "from Chuck Miller" inviting me to look at a website saying "It occurred to me you might remember the girls in this photo pretty well "
    It went straight into the deleted items
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

One of the bots (I presume) sent me an email (to the one I used to use for the board before changing it due to the number of spam emails I was getting) today "from Chuck Miller" inviting me to look at a website saying "It occurred to me you might remember the girls in this photo pretty well "
    It went straight into the deleted items
    OH MY !!!! ...

We'll look into it ....

cm
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Thanks Chuck

I was pretty certain it was not from you unless you have recently moved to the United Arab Emirates and are now going to Sharjah university
    the email had a ".ac.ae" address Chuck Miller <u19104571@sharjah.ac.ae>
    Last edited by HughH; 04-12-2022 at 11:46 PM.
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

I use the “Brave” browser. Seems to help with blocking most ads, even on YouTube
    eric

member #1515
    I have also received notice that my password on this site has been in a data leak.
    I know it is difficult but security here seems a bit lax.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Quote Originally Posted by RSTarga View Post
    I have also received notice that my password on this site has been in a data leak.
    Ditto. This has happened several times to me and I have good security on my computers.
    I am extremely dubious of 1st time posters ( I realise this seems harsh) and especially those that appear to want correspondence via email (prior to the 5 post threshold) and want payment via unusual apps.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by RSTarga View Post
    If that is a warning on your iphone or ipad, that doesn’t mean the S registry leaked your password, it means that the password saved on your phone or ipad to login here is the same as a password you used somewhere else, and the somewhere else was involved in a data leak. Basically, it means you reused a password for multiple sites, and one of those had a leak.