Thread: Suggestions for tire shops that won't damage wheels in LA/Ventura/Santa Barbara area?

Suggestions for tire shops that won't damage wheels in LA/Ventura/Santa Barbara area?

I have for the longest time relied on The Tire Man in the Thousand Oaks area to get tires changed on my valuable wheels - including Fuchs and magnesium racing wheels on our Elva and low profile tires on my son's S2000. But a few weeks ago, they damaged the wheels on the low profile tires on my other son's Civic Type R.

In case anyone cares, here are the three areas I've seen damaged on wheels - two of which they did on my son's wheels:
    (1) When they clamp the wheel to their machine, there are these pads with spikes that press out into the inner rim to hold it. The spikes put holes in the inner rim of the wheel, and then if the wheel slips, it drags those holes into deep scratches.
    (2) When they use a pry bar of sorts to initially get the first bead off, they leverage against the rim and chip off any paint.
    (3) When they put the wheel up against the side of the machine to squeeze the bead off the rim, the squeeze presses the face of the wheel into the side of the machine and scratches it.

I even bring them the wheels. Many of the shops lift the car with these flat board lifts that push the car up from the floors. Nice to spread the load. But it damaged one of my car's undersides years ago.

The Tire Man offered to take the wheels and send them out for repairs. But I need a place that doesn't do that in the first place.

The Tire Man has always done well before. Maybe this time was just a bad worker. They insist they know how to do low profile and do it all the time. But they totally blew it this time. I simply can't take the risk on any more wheels.

Thumbs up

Jay,

I've been dealing with the folks at R Compound USA for my DOT tires and mounting ...

https://www.instagram.com/rcompoundusa/?hl=en

Besides having the most competitive pricing, a line on ALL the performance tires, and ULTRA care mounting... they are WAY into Civic road racing !!!!

562-726-5777

Tell'm I sent'ya

They even took these pics !!! ...

Hope this helps,
    Chuck
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Thanks Chuck!

I just called these guys. They are THE guys to go to. THANK YOU CHUCK. (and yes, I told them you referred me, and they definitely knew who you were, and were appreciative).

They started the shop BECAUSE they were just like me - had damaged wheels and couldn't find a shop to trust.

My Porsches, Hondas and Elva race car all are so happy now.

Thanks for posting those guys, Chuck! I found out I need tires ASAP and I know the Tire Man has changed a bit over the years. Just wondering, where are they located?

Also, any recommendations for new tires? I've got Advan A048s on right now but seems those are NLA. Looking for 225/50R16 rear and something around 200/50R16 ish front. Currently looking at tire rack there's a few to choose from. The R888 and RA1 I recognize (I heard the RA1 is better) and there is an Advan A052. There's a Kumho V730 which must be the new version of the V710? The R888 has the most similar tread pattern to the A048s but they don't have the smaller size for the front. Currently I think it's a choice between the Yokohama A052 and the Falken RT660 because of sizes, probably going for the A052 since they are lighter. I've only looked on Tire Rack though.

I could mix and match brands I suppose, R888 in the rear and something else in the front. My front tires still have a little bit of life left in them.

Should I go Bridgestone or Dunlop? I'm seeing that I might be able to go larger in the rear and use the 225 in front depending on what brand I get.
    Last edited by Flieger; 10-07-2022 at 07:01 PM.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

member #1515
    If you want to avoid erratic handling, don't mix, brands, models construction.
    I have always had good results with Bridgestone, Dunlop not so much.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Quote Originally Posted by RSTarga View Post
    If you want to avoid erratic handling, don't mix, brands, models construction.
    I have always had good results with Bridgestone, Dunlop not so much.
    Thanks,

The Bridgestone RE-71RS seems very highly rated after getting more opinions. Tire Rack's test vs. the Advan A052 put them very close together in terms of performance and feel. I think it's down to those two choices now.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

member #1515
    I have the RE71's very good tire, nice and grippy
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs