Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My 914 lightweight project

It's amazing how rough some of these 914's can be....mine certainly was.

Antoine, you're doing a great job.
    Keep up the steady work and you'll have a great driver in the end.
    Love that you are going back with the original color too.
    It's a good one.
    -Doug
    2022 Carrera 4S Oslo Blue
    1977 Martini Edition 924
    1989 Lancia Delta Integrale 16V

Thanks to all for the support..I see that this thread is ok here so I will keep posting!

So, that was the next logical step..primer on the passenger side fender (and all around the windshield after taking it also to bare metal) :

And I took care of a few holes on the driver's side firewall:

For the bottom part, I will wait to have the body on the cart/body frame as not only the bottom of the firewall but also the floor is affected. More on that later :wink:

Before starting the body frame /hell hole fix, I wanted to check how the quarter is (part of me knowing I might have to cut it to repair right the right long).. Here the result, quite impressive..

So now I know it.. I will build from scratch that quarter panel and cut it, repair the long, weld my new panel.
    Just for fun I made a small test panel to try the shape of the wheel opening:

But I hadn't a large enough sheet metal piece to start on the quarter panel so I starte on my body frame..
    Fresh metal came:

Welded the long part:

Rest will follow with all the fixations I planned (bumpers, engine, gearbox, front axle, back axle,..) to keep the body square du ring welding.

Stay tuned !

Antoine

I know I can buy the B-Pillar from RD but I love a challenge so.. Here we go:

The first steps:

And then it got worse:

And it's starting to take shape:

And it's ready to weld:

Stay tuned,

Antoine

Amazing work ! Fantastic. Here is some inspiration…1975 1.8 owned by a local lady since new until I purchased last year. Yours will look great.
    73DB978F-1639-4F4A-90DC-94E07FF782E5.jpg
    1968 911L Coupe - Golden Green
    1971 911S Coupe - Gemini Blue
    1973 911S Targa - Signal Yellow
    1974 914 2.3 - Sunflower Yellow

Thanks Simon! What a nice car you have!

I finished the B-pillar, first with these small reparations:
    Before:

During:

And finished:

And here:

Then I welded my part on the top of the door latch but not before cleaning/fixing/painting behind it:

Adjusting:

And welded:

Then the top part, made in two parts:

Adjusting:

And then welded:

Metal finishing will take place when I prepare for paint.

Stay tuned, I have load more to post !

Antoine

Did you remove the foam from behind the sail panel? That’s what holds the water and helps the metal rot out from the inside.
    A part isn't purchased until paid.

The 9 Store LLC.

Thanks a lot for the advice, I did remove it, on both sides!

So, as next step, I made my body frame to ensure nothing moves during welding:
    Every fixation is screwed to be able to remove/reuse all after.
    Front:

Back:

Under the gearbox: (pic during tacking, fully welded after)

Engine mount:

And suspension console to have the exact position to put it back after hellhole repair:

And the car is up:

Stay tuned

Antoine

So, now that the car is solidly anchored in the frame and we can go forward.
    Before starting on the hellhole, I made one last repair on the driver's B-pillar.
    The bottom had some holes:

So I built the repair part in two parts as original:

Adjusted:

Tacked in position :

And welded:

Cheers

Antoine

Before removing the paint on the right rear quarter panel, I wasn't sure how to deal with it while repairing the hellhole. I knew cutting it would allow me a better access but cutting good metal is always a hard decision..
    Well, from that point of view I got "lucky" :lol: because there is no good metal :lol:
    Here without paint:

And I have a habit that I built(or make sure I have it) the part before cutting, to ensure I won't miss any measurement/positioning. So here we go !
    Making my template :

And starting :

And after a couple hours:

I left the front part undone to be able to make a good door gap when it comes to that time.

So, now that this is done..cutting!

Cheers

Antoine

I also removed the 47 years old fuel lines:

Stainless steel replacement is on its way!

Then I looked further on the outside part of the hellhole..which doesn't look promising:

And after checking a bit inside (quite a lot of layers in this badly repaired jack point..):

There were some findings:

And a lot of rust falling through:

I did not want to fight forming too much thick metals so I made a small order to save me some time:

So..time to cut really into this repair..
    But before that, I took a bit of time investing in my future partner in crime..my 5 years old boy already wants to learn how to weld!

Stay tuned

Antoine