Thread: '73 Driving Lights

'73 Driving Lights

All,

I definitely wanted to get to the bottom of the factory ’73/'72 driving light configuration, specifically whether or not it would be installed with a fog light switch. I researched this previously, and never found a PORSCHE wiring diagram that showed the connection. I always assumed driving lights could not be configured for a US bound car, and the rest of the world turned them on with high beams.

However, Allen stated
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen Henderson View Post
    My '72S was wired per the schematic for the U.S. There WAS and IS a switch on the dash to activate the driving lights (yes, in conjunction with the High beams) The schematic shown is just part of the circuit. Thanks.

Allen, It was always my understanding the fog light wiring diagram supplement was the only way this switch would be wired from the factory (or with the retrofit kit). If your car was wired per the electric wire diagram for US (same circuit for 72 & 73) shown, then clearly there must be another diagram I am unaware of. Also, how exactly did it work in conjunction with the high beams? You would turn on the fog switch, the driving lights would stay off, and only turn on when the high beam was triggered? Seems odd, or did it work differently? What part of the circuit am I missing? Would you please share the schematic for wiring driving lights with the fog switch? There “WAS and IS” is not much documentation or proof this configuration was from the factory.

Name:  Fog Wiring.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  67.2 KB

Now, I have no proof that driving lights activated by the fog switch for the US market didn’t exist, but what I have seen is when a car is configured with driving lights, only photos of non-US RS’s, they do not have the dash board fog light switch, so presumably it is activated with the high beam switch (would really like to see the schematic of this, a German one possibly?). Seems odd Porsche would have two different ways of wiring driving lights, one with the switch for the US market and one without the switch for ROW.

Some beautiful examples of RS’s with driving lights without the fog switch. What I don’t have documentation of, is this option and how it was wired. I could be wrong, but I don’t think these were aftermarket wiring jobs and believe them to be correct.

Name:  Driving lights 1.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  91.3 KBName:  Driving lights 2.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  42.3 KB
    Dave Reu
    Member #3949
    1973 Silver Metallic 911S

Dave, I'm going to take another look at this as well. It's been nearly 20 years since I first dived into this topic.. Where has the time gone, yeah? Anyway, my recollection is that the fog circuit is disabled when high beams are on and like you recall that the driving light wiring was in conjunction with high beams. The only time I've seen driving lights switched is on custom wiring or when the fog light was swapped out and the high beam disable bypassed... And, I've seen the old Webasto heater switch hole used for the small Bosch switch used to have independent switching for fogs and driving on the same car but, I don't ever recall seeing factory wiring diagrams for that.. Always assumed it was one offs or customs or used for hood mounted lights.

I've been working from home while managing a home remodel, juggling three semi displaced dogs and not having a functioning kitchen (or fully functioning wife ) going on three months now..

I could really use the diversion of sitting in front of my new gas insert fireplace and pouring over wiring diagrams with a scotch in hand...LOL.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

My 1970 911T was German-delivery and has the M432 option. Driving lights that come on with the high beams with no dash switch. I can take some pics of the wiring, it's all original.

This thread has some good info:

https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...ng-lights-quot

And BTW, Kroon should have the M432 wiring harness available to buy. I sent him my harness to copy a few years ago.

Noah,

YES! I remember reading this thread. Rare indeed, I can’t imagine there are many ‘70T’s with this option. Wonder if David P. has any data… hmmmmm. Beautiful photo. Would be happy to see more of your car or any car with this factory M432 option. Pics of the wiring is great too! Never too many. A factory French T, E, or S with a yellow driving lens has got to be a unicorn.

Yes looks like the harness requires some crimping, likely to connect into the high beam switch?… just guessing. Do they pay you a licensing fee for your photo? You should put your name on it. (These are jokes) Great work these people do.
    https://www.kroonwireharnesses.com/i...TG-500x500.jpg

Still looking for the ‘73 driving light schematic….

Thanks again.
    Dave Reu
    Member #3949

Quote Originally Posted by 70SATMan;

I could really use the diversion of sitting in front of my new gas insert fireplace and pouring over wiring diagrams with a scotch in hand...LOL.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgendy
    I love scotch. Scotchy, scotch, scotch. Here it goes down, down into my belly.
    If you got any European schematics for driving lights, I’ll bring the scotch.

Slŕinte mhath
    Dave Reu
    Member #3949

I don't know if this is relevant to you. But note the lights that mount under the front bumper. My factory bumper definitely has the holes to mount below. I haven't found a source for the bracket yet, and made one from aluminum.

https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...driving+lights

And I just got the actual/correct brackets from these guys: https://www.freisinger-motorsport.de

They are perfect, just like the pictures. Lights going on this weekend.
    Last edited by Jay Laifman; 12-22-2022 at 10:56 AM.

This thread has made me want to put mine back on.
    --
    1973 911s / 1994 964 Turbo / 1997 993c2