Thread: Back to original ignition setup ?

Xavier Petit-Jean-Boret Xavier PJB's Avatar

Back to original ignition setup ?

Greetings,

Hope you are all well. I'd like some advise about the ignition system/chain on my 2.0S 1968 stock engine.
    Current config :
    Original 2/0S distributor with points
    MSD 6AL associated with MSD coil
    Tacho MSD module

Weber IDS have been fully restored/fuel system has been replaced (tank, pump, filers etc.)

The problems after driving a while/track day/ :the engine starts to rattle randomly (engine at running temperature) and my taco gets randomly crazy bouncing from 2000 to 7000 rpm while accelerating hard/track day, and bouncing/checking on highways.
    That is very annoying indeed.

I changed the regulator, checked the wiring for "leaks" or damage etc. found nothing.

I suspect an issue with the ignition, some mess in the configuration/chain hence I would like to get it back to original config/ignition chain. Meaning distributor / coil / iignition box

Any help appreciated.
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407

member #1515
    Check your points, sounds like they have closed up
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

and be sure to use the special lube on the breaker point cam.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

MSD says not to use solid core wires (if that applies?)

Xavier Petit-Jean-Boret Xavier PJB's Avatar
    Thanks for the tips, will check later today and get back here.
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407

MSD ( or any CDI system) does not want a distributor rotor with any resistance. The normal Bosch rotor has about 5000 ohms resistance.
    To see if is MSD related, disconnect the MSD from the coil and distributor, get a standard coil, connect 12vdc from the ignition to the positive of the coil, and connect the negative on the coil to the distributor

One more thing to look at is the MSD Tac adapter, I had one with a MSD 6AL and was never happy with it bouncing around and poor response time sort of like slow motion. was running Bosch Distributor & points. Another thing was MSD said i would not need the big klunky adapter but when Tac did not work they suggested buying one. After a couple months I pulled it out & went with Bob Ashlock's Tac-Adapt. It worked better and is much smaller and easy to hide in the engine compartment.

Good Luck!