Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CDI+ / 123 or regular CDI for twin-plug 2.5? Best coil too?

at least it didn't leave me standing in the rain. It still works but has cut out when revving beyond 5.5krpm.
    I always thought my engine did have more power in the past (even before the cutouts set in).
    As I am always suspicious when it comes to electronics I have a mechanical smiths tach, 2 Fuelpumps, and 2 CDI units and 2 Coils in the car.
    I switched over to the other CDI and the car ran again like I remembered.

There is a classic example of the dual cdi setup in the Acropolis Rallye works (BMW) car
    Name:  31391_730523GR+BMW+5.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  132.2 KB

I didn't dare to mount them updsidedown
    Name:  0EE2C50B-99B6-44B7-AFC0-622D007C8257.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  83.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by matteo68 View Post
    Classic Retrofit CDI boxes have a lifetime warranty (subject to proper installation and no electrical abuse)

https://www.classicretrofit.com/products/911-cdi-3-pin
    Thats why my next cdi will be from classic retrofit. The only issue is currently that the german importer carpoint has no 3 PIN on stock and he won't import them in future due to import tax.
    This makes it more expensive as the Brexit will make me overpay with all import duties that much that I could buy a complete State of the Art electronic Engine Management system for the same amount so I am still hoping another importer might offer them for <1100€ or I could get one at one of the Porsche swaps where they have them on display.

Quote Originally Posted by uai View Post
    Thats why my next cdi will be from classic retrofit. The only issue is currently that the german importer carpoint has no 3 PIN on stock and he won't import them in future due to import tax.
    This makes it more expensive as the Brexit will make me overpay with all import duties that much that I could buy a complete State of the Art electronic Engine Management system for the same amount so I am still hoping another importer might offer them for <1100€ or I could get one at one of the Porsche swaps where they have them on display.
    When I buy stuff from FVD, Mittelmotor or Carpoint, they charge me the net of 19% German sales tax price and then UPS or whoever the carrier is normally gets in touch with me by phone, email or via their app to advise that 20% UK VAT is due on the item cost and their handling fees and I need to pay this before they will deliver the item. There are no other import duties payable on top (in my experience anyway), so the gross price I pay is only slightly more than the price you would pay in Germany. I would have thought post-Brexit that it would work the same way to import from the UK but perhaps I am wrong on that?
    ESR #4098
    ‘72 T Coupe (donor car for M491 2.5 SR)
    '72 S Coupe (2-owner tangerine unicorn)

you pay the item + tax(depending on the nature of the item) + 19% + depending what the carrier takes.
    Recently I bought some spares for a ZF LSD for 179€ incl. shipping. Import duties (incl. the annoying fee DHL takes) were 106€

Matt, i have 2 of Jonny's unit's on my ST with 2 original Black coils. You can find the coils 2nd hand. I got him to build the internals into my original CDI boxes.

Thanks Dave.

I think Angus is going to have a chat with Jonny about my proposed twin-plug set up, including dizzy, and also see if he’s proposing to make his own coils again. If not, he thinks he has a pair of black coils we can use.
    ESR #4098
    ‘72 T Coupe (donor car for M491 2.5 SR)
    '72 S Coupe (2-owner tangerine unicorn)

I had Bob Ashlock rebuild two stock 3-pin CDI boxes to go with my Mittlemotor “Marelli” twin plug distributor. I also bought a pair of Parts Klassik black coils I’m hoping are better than the silver ones (doesn’t sound like it).

I was told by the JB Racing and Patrick Motorsport reps that their twin plug units were designed to run with MSD type boxes which is what drove me to the Mittlemotor unit. It appears guys are running stock CDI boxes with with them without issues contrary to what I was told. The Mittlemotor unit is designed to be run with factory CDI boxes and looks more correct so it seemed like the best / easiest options.

I’m still putting my engine together so I haven’t set everything up to see how runs yet.

Stretch
    Registry # 3063

MSD spark boxes put out a higher energy spark than most others and multi sparks at lower rpm. That makes for a better running motor and better cold starts. That’s a why racers like them.

Quote Originally Posted by H-viken View Post
    That’s highly disappointing to hear
    I had several of their CDI boxes fail in my ST set up. Not a fan of their customer service when your from a far off land.

On the other hand their black coils have performed perfectly over the same period.
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6

Quote Originally Posted by blucille View Post
    As I mentioned on a previous thread, I installed 2 PartKlassic coils a few years back, one failed last year, the other failed a month ago. I'd seek out old coils, they don't seem to fail much.
    Quote Originally Posted by BOYER73S View Post
    I had several of their CDI boxes fail in my ST set up. Not a fan of their customer service when your from a far off land.

On the other hand their black coils have performed perfectly over the same period.
    I'm 2 years in on one of their coils and it has yet to fail. I always carry a spare to be safe, however.
    (a) 1970 911T Sportomatic coupe
    (b) 2016 E350 4MATIC wagon; parts hauler for (a)
    ESR #1474