Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Solex 40 PI carb replica

Solex 40 PI carb replica

not being able to get my hands on a set of good & clean Solex 40 PI's for a while now, I'm considering to produce a replica of the Solex 40 PI.
    I'd very much appreciate any comments, price point suggestions and ofcourse like to understand your interest in such product, and whether it should be an exact copy and include the performance 'flat spot'

A very interesting inquiry. Placing the discussion here.
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Interesting indeed.

The 2.0 Cup group—James Turner at Sports Purpose, Richard Tuthill at Tuthill Porsche, etc—might be very interested given the prices racers have to pay for the series-mandated Solexes. I suspect accuracy to stay within the rules would be key, but it would be interesting to see what the series organizers say.

From a business perspective: If you go to the trouble of engineering > manufacturing these, I wonder if you can increase your audience by doing versions that work as throttle bodies for EFI. I understand PMO's "carb-style" throttle bodies are hard to come by now, and were one of the few that looked "right" and allowed for use of a factory air filter housing. There may also be a case to be made for having spare parts for Solexes, but I know less about what that market looks like and curious to see what others have to say.
    Last edited by stout; 05-07-2022 at 12:09 PM.

China is making clones of the 40PII 356 and 912.

Quote Originally Posted by aveerdonk View Post
    not being able to get my hands on a set of good & clean Solex 40 PI's for a while now, I'm considering to produce a replica of the Solex 40 PI.
    I'd very much appreciate any comments, price point suggestions and ofcourse like to understand your interest in such product, and whether it should be an exact copy and include the performance 'flat spot'
    What exactly are you considering to offer?
    Just the carbs and manifolds?

When do you think they are ready for purchase?

Richard
    searching for engine (case) 903742

The offering will ideally be a complete set of 6, and likely also a single carb and spare parts.
    The design is in progress, but I'll need some more market confirmation before initiating the manufacturing - so no dates yet.
    As the 40PI is quite a small market, its not too clear whether I can actually recover my investment (there is a reason they're not there out yet)

The offering will ideally be a complete set of 6, and likely also a single carb and spare parts.
    The design is in progress, but I'll need some more market confirmation before initiating the manufacturing - so no dates yet.
    As the 40PI is quite a small market, its not too clear whether I can actually recover my investment (there is a reason they're not there out yet)
    I think as well that the market is small.

A rebuild set, just the carbs & manifolds and throttle bar and linkages is probably $12K (depending on where the rebuild is done).

Richard

Hello!

According to an exploded view of only the carb itself, there are 43 individual parts listed. Amond them, there are probably some sub-assemblies, with even more parts.
    A least 7 of them are die casting parts.
    Amond the "little part" there are brass machined screws with some tight tolerances features, sheetmetal precisely cut and shaped, steel parts, gaskets and so on.

I don't want to rain on your parade, but that's exactly 43 occasions to miss something, with the die castings being obviously the most painfull and expansive occasions.

Have you ever done this kind of reproductions? How many shortcuts will you make? Do you plan to replace die castings by CNC'd components?

Investment seems huge, it will be time consuming to make everything OK.

And I don't even speak about linkages, manifolds, pumps...

Could you elaborate a bit on the technical side of things? That would probably be something able to catch other's interest.

Anyway, I'm admiring this kind of project, and wish you best of luck.

Olivier.

To make a correct reproduction, it has to be die cast as any normal carb....and yes there is design, manufacturing, assembly and testing work & cost involved as with anything done properly. Hence I'd like to see how interested the small potential market really is and if I can at least recoup my investment
    The finished product should look/be identical, apart from the branding.
    Current status is that the design is in progress and production partners are being approached.

To make a correct reproduction, it has to be die cast as any normal carb....and yes there is design, manufacturing, assembly and testing work & cost involved as with anything done properly. Hence I'd like to see how interested the small potential market really is and if I can at least recoup my investment
    The finished product should look/be identical, apart from the branding.
    Current status is that the design is in progress and production partners are being approached.
    In order to be interested I would like to know a ballpark price (including tax and what is included) and when they will be available.

Richard