Thread: Master Key Blanks for 1972/1973

Master Key Blanks for 1972/1973

Hi,

I ordered master and valet key blanks to replace the non-OEM keys on my car. I had them recut yesterday but for some reason only the valet key will turn in the ignition (and open both doors).

The master key will only open both doors but will not turn in the ignition and will also not lock / unlock the hood latch. Is this a sign I need to get the tumblers cleaned or did I order the wrong key blank for the master key?

For what it’s worth, I had compared the key blanks and the master (black) blank was slightly wider than the valet one (red).

For reference, here are the key blanks I used:

Master key blank:
    914 531 903 10
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/13325344282...mis&media=COPY

Valet key blank:
    914 531 903 11
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/14432979049...mis&media=COPY

I have 2 old key blanks red is slightly larger than black when measured at the top and certainly has a different profile

When my phone download behaves will post some pics for you

I recently used 2 old blanks 1 red and one black for my 72 ST (which has no glove box or hood latch)and both keys start the car and open the doors as I had the same profile cut into both keys
    as only had the black master to work from.
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6

I think the profile should be the same for both keys but the only difference is the extra groove. I guess what I was trying to say was that the master key seems wider along the green line vs the valet key as i have drawn on this pic: Name:  8AAB534D-8D7D-40A2-963B-267265EFDE1A.jpeg
Views: 134
Size:  102.8 KB

Yes that is what I measured up against that top notch, the width my un cut red keys is slightly wider than the un cut black ones.
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6

Quote Originally Posted by BOYER73S View Post
    Yes that is what I measured up against that top notch, the width my un cut red keys is slightly wider than the un cut black ones.
    Dang it so sounds like likely a tumbler issue on my end