Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hood Crest Nut

Hood Crest Nut

Hi all,

I wanted to replace my hood crest seal today and when I tried removing the badge I noticed that a prior owner had attached some sort of plastic plug in one hole and left the other hood pin without any nut at all.
    Well, I replaced the rubber seal and tried to use the retaining nuts (that have no thread) that came with the seal but I don’t feel super confident that these will hold the hood in place. I tried squeezing the nut with a tool but was unable to make them any tighter. Am I missing something? Or will this hold the badge? I’m pretty sure I could just nudge it off the hood without much force.

The retaining nuts:
    Name:  2EACFE62-39E0-4A63-B5B5-B37FD7BCD83F.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  55.7 KB

And the badge in all its glory
    Name:  EB2939BD-E30E-44F3-BEA3-FE40E0F77799.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  60.4 KB

Your badge is in great condition. Try not to bend it while prying it off.
    1957 356A Cab Condor Yellow
    1970 911E Targa “CONDA G”
    1970 911T3.2 “Meatballs”
    1972 911T2.5 “AWBRGN”
    1972 911T Targa Glaserblau
    1976 911S Talbot Yellow

Thanks, I wish I could say the same about the paint!
    Sorry, to be clear I’ve managed to pry it off already. The problem is I don’t have a lot of faith in these speed nuts. Are there other ways to secure them? I saw someone used surgical tube to keep the badge on in another thread.

You need new speed nuts, they twist on and will hold the badge just fine. I will take a look I think I have some extra's send me a PM with your address.
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White
    2012 991 Platinum Silver ( Gone)
    1971 911T Targa Bahia Red (Gone to France)
    1995 911 Carrera Polar Silver (Gone)

No Affiliation with City of Chicago!

I have been using RC airplane fuel line on the emblems for my Datsun for the last several years with no problems. The only issue would be if you have a slightly bent emblem that no longer sits flush, as the tubing doesn’t have the strength of a speed nut to hold it down. A nice benefit is the ability to easily (and without fear of breaking the pin) remove the emblem for cleaning or waxing.
    1969 911S
    1969 Datsun 2000...worth less, but more valuable

Camarilla,

As previously mentioned, get yourself some new speed nuts. These are really not meant to be reused. I think this should solve your issue. Do a search for PN WHT-004-974-OEM and serval vendors will pop up. Also, how are the posts on the back of the badge? If these are all "chewed" up it may make it difficult for the speed nut to bite. To fix posts could be tricky. A photo or two of your badge off the car would be helpful. From the photo the badge seems like it could be kinked a little but hard to tell. This could be preventing the posts from sitting far enough in. Otherwise, a very nice looking badge.

The assembly with these nuts should hold the badge just fine, it has worked at least since '64 and should work well for you if you get all the parts "squared" away.

Good luck,
    Dave
    Dave Reu
    Member #3949
    1973 Silver Metallic 911S

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Awesome View Post
    Camarilla,

As previously mentioned, get yourself some new speed nuts. These are really not meant to be reused. I think this should solve your issue. Do a search for PN WHT-004-974-OEM and serval vendors will pop up. Also, how are the posts on the back of the badge? If these are all "chewed" up it may make it difficult for the speed nut to bite. To fix posts could be tricky. A photo or two of your badge off the car would be helpful. From the photo the badge seems like it could be kinked a little but hard to tell. This could be preventing the posts from sitting far enough in. Otherwise, a very nice looking badge.

The assembly with these nuts should hold the badge just fine, it has worked at least since '64 and should work well for you if you get all the parts "squared" away.

Good luck,
    Dave
    Thanks Dave. I should have clarified, these were brand new speed nuts. It did however feel like the posts were a few mm to short for the speed nuts to “bite”. I definitely did not have the impression that they could keep the badge on if the car is driving over an uneven surface for a prolonged time. Let me try and take more detailed pictures today

I was just about to say, looks like the pins are too short. The nut is not grabbing on as it is supposed to
    SEARCHING FOR ENGINE 6208326 (last seen in car with VIN 9111101452)

-70 911E
    -84 3,2 Sold

I also have an issue where the posts are too short and the speed nuts do not bite it adequately. Any creative solutions, or reasons for this?

i think the speed nut shown is not the correct "nut" for the hood badge
    that is why some find the pins too short......
    how about this...........
    can not post picture
    Last edited by bob joyce; 01-10-2024 at 02:55 PM.