Thread: Advice about replacing starter 73 911

Advice about replacing starter 73 911

Sometimes, and with increasing frequency, when I turn the key on my 73 911E the starter motor doesn’t operate (do hear fuel pump but not even a click from starter). There is power to other components. So far a few retries and the car starts but expect this will not continue. Haven’t debugged the problem yet to determine if switch, wiring, solenoid, or starter motor is at fault. Even if it isn’t the starter at fault wondering about going ahead and replacing it since it is the original starter and is now approaching 50 years old. In that case, I would appreciate advice about what to replace it with. Have heard people have had problems with Bosch rebuilds. Some recommend high torque starters and that option has the advantage of being lighter. Thanks in advance for advice.

Jim
    1973 911E Targa
    Firemist Cognac

I would not replace the starter until you check the ignition switch and electric connections . You will be lucky if a replacement starter is as good as your original one .

Agree with not replacing the starter unless you are certain. My 69 starter with 270,000 miles is still working. Had your problem and the ignition switch had some clips coming loose that held the switch together. It was intermittent until it stopped completely. Put 12 volts to your starter relay several times to see if the problem comes from the starter or the ignition switch/wiring. I would not have the key in the ignition while testing so the engine will not start.

It’s surprisingly easy to check all the other issues that might create the no- start condition.

Hook jumper cables (positive and negative) directly to the starter and jump over to the yellow wire terminal. This would eliminate the possibility of a bad yellow wire, a failing ignition switch, bad ground or too much resistance in the long positive power cable from the battery.

As much as I like these 50 year old starters, and have one that’s still running in my 72, truth is, with enough heat cycles they do fail in exactly the manner you describe and there aren’t many guys around anymore to do a full rebuild with non-Chinese parts (replacement solenoids are mostly junk)

I do like the gear reduction starters- I’ve installed them in several of my long hoods and never had a problem again. And they do save weight.
    looking for 1972 911t motor XR584, S/N 6121622

Get the starter rebuilt. Most of the time it’s $75-125 and you will be assured of proper fit.
    A part isn't purchased until paid.

The 9 Store LLC.